• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

powertrax noslip + snowy/icy roads

def.ho

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings!
In the coming months i will be upgrading my Chrysler 27 spline open rear to 29 spline shafts+locker. I live in an area with a good deal of snow and ice in the winter months and my 242 t-case has proven to be invaluable for these road conditions with its full-time feature.
I would like to ask fellow XJ'ers with a no-slip/242 combination in the rear how it fares in the snow and ice? will my rear prefer to swing ahead of me on curvy snowy/icy roads? My thinking is driving up mountain roads (and their numerous tight curves) my locker will be engaged and i'll break traction due to the rear wheels not differentiating at all. is this a problem for any of you guys or is it not as bad as i imagine it? I'd rather not have to spend the dough for a selectable locker but i might have to in my situation.

Thanks for any help guys! so far this forum has been a godsend for myself the mechanically-challenged. :worship:

p.s. if you have a 231 and are going to tell me what it will do based on your assumptions of how a 242 works.. please don't. i would prefer to hear from people with actual winter road driving experience with this combo. not trying to step on the 231 owners; just while searching for an answer to my question, a lot of threads had responses from 231 people who didn't know what they were talking about concerning the 242.

I'm not sure how it will work. The general concensus is that a 242/locker combo will not be godd due to stress on the drivetrain in full time. if it is kept in 2wd or part time its not a problem. Not many people have that combo since it can destroy the transfer case. On top of that 2wd is fun in the snow! I hope that helped you. :cheers:

I'm pretty sure the rear locker in the 242 is perfectly fine, it's the front locker you aren't able to get.

I love driving in 2wd with my no-slip in the rear. It makes snow driving fun, especially when there is nobody else on the road.

As long as you're a cautious driver you'll be fine.
Just dont let anyone else drive your rig that isnt familiar w/ your setup.

thanks for the input guys. and for the record... driving along cliffs with no guardrails in snow is not my idea of fun lol. welcome to Siskiyou County. Well i'll probably give the no-slip a shot anyway and see what happens. what is health and life insurance for anyway? as far as running in full-time with a locker.. as i understand it, the rear with an auto-locker is fine.. you just don't want to run an auto-locker up front in full-time. it would defeat the purpose of full-time cause you wouldn't be able to steer very well.. it may damage things too, i'm not sure.

A locker works perfectly fine in back with a NP242. I'm running a Detroit in mine, and had an Aussie before that. They are both a little squirrelly when it’s slick out (the lunch box locker more so than the Detroit in my opinion). Running in Full-Time compensates quite a bit as the front end will continue to pull when the back breaks loose.

Back