• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my winch draining my battery?

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have the XRC 8000 lbs. winch. Its been used quite a bit withing the last couple months. I just replaced a brand new battery after a wheeling trip I had taken a month or two ago. It was quite a surprise to me. The battery would not hold a charge. It died under load.

After replacing this new battery a few weeks ago, my volt meter was reading 13.5 volts. As luck would have it, I had to use my winch three times this weekend. Tonight, I noticed my jeep had a somewhat rough idle at startup and the volt meter was reading 11.5-12 volts. Needless to say, I disconnected my winch immediately. Are winches know to drain batteries when not in operation?

No.

Have you verified with a multimeter that the winch is indeed drawing current when not in use?

Nope. Don't have one.

You are having an electrical problem where something is drawing current, and draining your battery. A multimeter is the tool you need to track the problem down. You should get one.

I was told 13-13.5.
That is around what the volt meter on the dash should say when the vehicle is running. (it takes into account the voltage being supplied by the alternator. Mine is usually around 14 or slightly below)

You are having an electrical problem where something is drawing current, and draining your battery. A multimeter is the tool you need to track the problem down. You should get one.

That is around what the volt meter on the dash should say when the vehicle is running. (it takes into account the voltage being supplied by the alternator. Mine is usually around 14 or slightly below)

When you say running do you mean at idle or driving? Thats where mine runs while driving. Its also been pretty close while idling as well until recently.

When you say running do you mean at idle or driving? Thats where mine runs while driving. Its also been pretty close while idling as well until recently.

Well then, how is your alternator doing? This could be a source of your battery draining. The vehicle is using up the battery, and the alternator is on it's way out, so it does not have the ability to fully charge the battery each time. I haven't had any alternator issues, so I don't know the full symptoms to look for.

I'm not sure since I haven't really looked in a while, but I think mine reads that at idle, but I'm not 100% sure.

alternator is brand new and charges very well.

Battery should read about 12.5 volts static between the terminals, you should 13.6 to 14.5 with the engine running, measure both with no loads, i.e., lights, radio, etc.

First Rule of XJ--buy a multimeter.

Have you upgraded your battery cables? How good of a battery? What is the amperage of your alternator?

Read this article: http://www.olypen.com/craigh/charge.htm

If you are putting a huge load on the winch at idle you may be doing damage to the battery if the alternator isn't able to keep up at idle RPMs. You could try the very easy extended idle modification and/or have someone rev it while you are winching. Repeatedly putting a huge load on the battery without the power from the alternator to back it up isn't a good thing. I can't find the chart but these things can draw hundreds of amps under a full rated load as I understand it.

With out a meter your flying blind. So take the XJ to the place you got the battery and have them run a full starting/charging system check. They will often do it for free.
The factory or dash meters get old and takes a hell of a pounding. It's no wonder they can be off a bit.

i have the same winch and had the same problem. After the battery wouldnt hold a charge anymore i simply bought an optima. Havent had any problems since.

Back