• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hobart handler 140 good buy?

WebDog

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking about upgrading from my pos harbor freight welder to a real MIG.

After some research i came to the Hobart Handler 140, it has some good reviews and can be had for about $400.

Anyone here use that welder before or have any advice?

thanks

i have a Hobart handler 187, and i love it... it is a 220 setup tho. i think that with good skill and weldment prep a welding machine that is rated to 1/4" can be very adequate. honestly i never use my higher settings unless i am working on an axle or something that i cant prep and can only rely on root penetration for better fusion. something to note is that the Hobart handler line is made by miller, and is more or less the small line from miller, and miller is a great company. i use their big setups almost every day.

Yea i was looking at miller but once i saw the prices it was out of the question, the $400 hobart i can fly and like you said it is made by miller.

I dont have access to 220V or else i would spend a few hundred more for that.

Instead of starting a new thread-i think im gonna pick up a welder for myself for christmas to learn how to weld. I've never welded and want something that allows me to learn easily and think ive narrowed my choices down to the hobart 140, id like the 187 but dont have 220 and until my wife and i move wont. The dual rigs ive looked at are more expensive than buying the 140 and the 187 combined so id like to stick to a normal outlet rig. Is the hobart a good choice to learn on? Should i go cheaper, look for different options or what? I already have bumpers, not really looking to do anything major just always been on the wish list of something to learn and id like to take the step now.

i live my 140 but i do need to get a 220 version cuz im gonna be starting a 1 ton build soon

Instead of starting a new thread-i think im gonna pick up a welder for myself for christmas to learn how to weld. I've never welded and want something that allows me to learn easily and think ive narrowed my choices down to the hobart 140, id like the 187 but dont have 220 and until my wife and i move wont. The dual rigs ive looked at are more expensive than buying the 140 and the 187 combined so id like to stick to a normal outlet rig. Is the hobart a good choice to learn on? Should i go cheaper, look for different options or what? I already have bumpers, not really looking to do anything major just always been on the wish list of something to learn and id like to take the step now.

you dont have 220 anywhere? right now i am running a 75ft extension to the garage from the dryer outlet:gee:... but the hobart 140 is a good small machine, and you should not have any issues with it

yah, im running a 15' extention cord from the dryer to the garage too for my lincoln buzz box. hopefully i will get a mig soon

no 220...right now we are renting we sold our house when we moved and dont want to purchase another until we are settled for sure.

Im sure ill move up to a 220 rig when i get the chance, but i have no clue how to weld, ive never welded and so id like something to learn on. That being said i dont want to learn on a machine thats gonna make it harder for me, or wont teach me about the features i will need in the future. Thats why i was asking about the 140, it seems like a good compromise between all of the above. Is this correct?

no 220...right now we are renting we sold our house when we moved and dont want to purchase another until we are settled for sure.

Im sure ill move up to a 220 rig when i get the chance, but i have no clue how to weld, ive never welded and so id like something to learn on. That being said i dont want to learn on a machine thats gonna make it harder for me, or wont teach me about the features i will need in the future. Thats why i was asking about the 140, it seems like a good compromise between all of the above. Is this correct?

you are correct. any issues your welds will have will probably be with your skills, but since you are learning they will always be improving :thumbup:. having a welder will really open up the possibilities to what you can do with your rig

I decided to get the 187 220V, i just need to get some more money and then put in a 220v socket under the breaker panel.

If I didn't live in an apartment complex that is what I would have done.

I have a 140 and it works great, I don't do a ton of welding but its always worked great. I mainly bought so my friends that were good welders could come to my house and weld my junk up :D. We recently used it to add some bars to a friends roll cage. Had to run it maxed out but it did well.

The key to a 110V welder is getting good clean power to it. Plug it in as close to the panel as possible and DO NOT run it on an extension cord. Even a 15ft extension cord makes a big difference on my welder. If you must run a cord build you one out of heavy wire to minimize any problems.

Back