• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Professional liner vs DIY

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
I did search, but didn't find anything current, so I figured I'd bring this question up to see if anyone has had any new experiences.

I Hurculined my last XJ, but felt even with 3 coats it was a bit thin. This time I'm thinking of professional liner, but that is looking like a VERY expensive prospect. Line X It in Fredericksburg estimated $750.

So now I'm left with this dilemma:

I figure it will cost me about $100 in materials, and $100 of my labor, so is Line-X 4 times better than Hurculiner?

Has anyone done both? What was your opinion of the two solutions?

I did search, but didn't find anything current, so I figured I'd bring this question up to see if anyone has had any new experiences.

I Hurculined my last XJ, but felt even with 3 coats it was a bit thin. This time I'm thinking of professional liner, but that is looking like a VERY expensive prospect. Line X It in Fredericksburg estimated $750.

I figure it will cost me about $100 in materials, and $100 of my labor, so is Line-X 4 times better than Hurculiner?

I think if your talking the inside floors I would Herculiner it. If it was a truck bed that got a lot of really heavy use I would lineX it. I have herculined the interior and if put on right it holds up really well.

I think if your talking the inside floors I would Herculiner it. If it was a truck bed that got a lot of really heavy use I would lineX it. I have herculined the interior and if put on right it holds up really well.

I can agree with that. :cheers:

I Herculined a lot of Jeeps, not just XJs and it works good. I even used Durabak for the exterior of Big Red...it don't look so good now after a few years. Looks like snake skin! :scared:

Line-X is between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick. You already know that Herculiner is thin like paint. So for the amount of protection you get the price is reasonable. Is it worth the money to you, is a question for you. I would not do it, but instead plan to put vinyl floor covering on top of the herculiner.

Line-X is between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick. You already know that Herculiner is thin like paint. So for the amount of protection you get the price is reasonable. Is it worth the money to you, is a question for you. I would not do it, but instead plan to put vinyl floor covering on top of the herculiner.

Yeah, I'm trying to justify the cost...if it Line-X is really 4x better than Herculiner, then I have no problems spending the money...

Vinyl Flooring? Like this:)? I like the Atlantica Fieldstone myself.

But seriously, what are you referring to?

Yeah, I'm trying to justify the cost...if it Line-X is really 4x better than Herculiner, then I have no problems spending the money...
It's totally different class of covering, they don't even compare. Line-X is vastly superior

Vinyl Flooring? Like this:)? I like the Atlantica Fieldstone myself.

But seriously, what are you referring to?
Imagine carpet without the cloth, but instead a smooth rubbery surface. Here look at this Comanche floor

IMG_2034.jpg

Jeep used them for government vehicles, and you can buy it aftermarket as well.

If the water does not have anywhere to go, yeah. Removable rubber plugs that go through both the floor and the covering make cleaning and draining easy though. Also as I said above the plan is to put that over the Herculiner, so that the vinyl takes the thumps and hits, and the Herculiner just protects the floor.

I have been considering this too and the way I have thought about it instead of comparing Line X to others I just compare it to what a new paint job would cost and it makes the Line X seen more worth it (at least to my wife).

We sell the Herculiner at work and I think it does a good job for the cost we also offer professional spray in liners and the two don't really compare they spray in is far better.

Are you doing just the inside? Or the outside too (i.e., your rockers/lower doors...)? I'm wondering which holds up the best to UV/fading...?

I am thinking of doing the same thing when I finish all my welding. I have done Durabak on my Nissan Frontier Bed and it came out good. I used 1 gallon of black. If I do my XJ I will probably use 3 gallons of black and do the floor in stages as well as the bottom of the doors and quater panels. I think the floor would need at least 2 gallons maybee 2.5 to make it thick enough. I was thinking I would do that and then cut up my carpet kit and cover parts of the floor. Line X is great stuff and if I could afford it I would do Line X over all other. Line X is also very heavy when applied thick.

Look around more linex is a franchise and the have to buy there raw materials from linex so thats one more middle man.I manufacture a product that is sprayed buy a guy that owns all his own equipment and he buys his material from who ever sells it to him the cheapest.The difference in the price between linex and rhino liner wasn't much 75.00 per unit but the difference between them and the non franchise guy was alot like 50.00 less using the same 2 part ureathane material.As far as herculiner and gator liner and a few others out there they dont go on as thick so you may end up spending as much any way.Plus you'll need to buy there gun which is another 30.00 then it will make the biggest mess youv'e ever made in your life not to mention ruining what ever your'e wearing.Reverse engineer it call a local auto body supply they will have other products and should know of some one that isn't a franchise.If any one in socal is interested call Tony at TNT bedliners in SanJacinto at 951 654 9111

hookedonxjs is correct. I used a undercoating gun and it made a huge mess. You will need to cover everything with plastic that you do not want to spray and use a shit load of masking tape. You will probably need to cover the entire XJ and anything around it by about 20ft. I did the bed of my Nissan about 25 yards from my parents house under a oak tree in the dirt on a day with no wind and 80 degrees. When I was done my vans had a 1" mixture of durabak and dirt stuck to the bottom and it hardend like a brick. I laughed my ass off.

I would just roll it on in stages.

Are you doing just the inside? Or the outside too (i.e., your rockers/lower doors...)? I'm wondering which holds up the best to UV/fading...?

I am only doing the inside. Herculiner has been said to have poor UV properties. I don't know that from personal experience.

ehall said:
Imagine carpet without the cloth, but instead a smooth rubbery surface. Here look at this Comanche floor

Ah, I see. I don't know why I couldn't picture that yesterday.

sorry to cross to another forum but why are you guys bothering with Herculiner on the interior when the UPOL stuff has been out for a while now and is way better plus tintable and still ends up costing around $100, I'd suggest that if you bought 2 "kits" and sprayed the entire interior of the XJ, rear cargo included you be very close to the thickness on a Line X "professional" job.... I did this TJ with a buddy by hand rolling and my own XJ with the sprayer, yes its a lot of work but very worth it...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/another-tinted-upol-raptorliner-interior-842704/

and another guys version...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/raptor-lined-interior-lots-pics-846551/

Last edited:
Back