• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right Blinker not working after heater core replacement

88xjlover

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. weird. 98 xj classic. Auto 4.0l. Everything went great, even the squeek in the steering wheel is gone but my passenger blinker doesn't work now. Can't here any 'ticking' from flasher or anything. Driver side works just fine. I checked the fuse for the right parking and good. Looked at all the connections for the steering wheel and everything plugged in and solid.
Anyone ever experience anything like it?

have you checked the disgronificator?

My suspicion is that you have a wire pinched or broken somewhere due to pulling everything apart and putting it back together to get at the heater core. Try unplugging the light harness where it connects to the engine compartment harness under the airbox/by the ECU (hopefully that's the same on an 88 and I'm not misleading you!) and unplugging any blinker relays / timers and the turn signal switch, then ohm the harness out from one end to the other. If it comes up fine, ohm it out from either end vs ground. If you show a low resistance between the wire and ground, find where the cable is pinched, if both these checks come up fine, check your relays/blinkers individually or swap them out and see if the problem switches to the left side. If that test passes, check the light harness in the header panel, the grounds in the lamp sockes and header panel wiring harness, and the turn signal switch itself. "Divide and Conquer" is the name of the game with electrical issues.

One thing I've noticed is sometimes the hazzard switch gets dusty or dirty and if I go to acctuate it I only get one side flashing. You might try working that switch back and forth about to see if the condition changes. Just a thought that doesn't require taking anything apart.

Back