• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98XJ starts on second try

jeepjet

NAXJA Forum User
When cold, my XJ usually will not start on the first try. After the first try turn the key off and then back to start and it starts normally. When hot, it usually starts the first try. I have checked the fuel rail pressures and they seem to be ok. Also, after a failed first start I checked the fuel rail and it was pressurized. Anyone have any sugestions, fuel pump, sensors or whatever? I have had this problem for the entire time I have owned the vehicle. Any help figuring this one out would be appreciated.

my 98 xj does the same thing when cold,but if i first turn the key to the on position and leave it there for about 5 to 10 seconds it fires right up when cold,im gonna try a new fuel filter tomorrow seeing how the one its got prolly is original(211,xxxmiles)

my dads 98 does the same thing and is losing fuel pressure at the pump (know this because pressure is good at the rail) so we just let it prime for a few seconds before cranking it since the pump seems fine otherwise for now. it starts every time after the few second prime

i dont remember if this is the case when hot though...

If I remember right, there is a check valve in the pump to maintain pressure while it is not running. When it goes bad you may have to prime the system for it to start right away. A new pump fixes this problem, but there is a check valve out of another vehicle that you can splice into the return line to repair this as well. If you do a search, I'm sure you will find which vehicle that check valve is from.

If I remember right, there is a check valve in the pump to maintain pressure while it is not running. When it goes bad you may have to prime the system for it to start right away. A new pump fixes this problem, but there is a check valve out of another vehicle that you can splice into the return line to repair this as well. If you do a search, I'm sure you will find which vehicle that check valve is from.

I think that was a Bosch check valve made for a BMW model. However, late model XJs you have to drop the tank to get to the pump assembly.

How about a $14 + $2.50 alternative that doesn't require dropping the tank? Ebay seller jbass195 sells a 3/8" inline fuel check valve. I have installed these in two of my own vehicles and in a couple of friends rides too.

Your problem definitely sounds like classic "check valve" failure. The check valve is located on the fuel pump assembly, located inside the gas tank on a 1998 XJ.

How about a $14 + $2.50 alternative that doesn't require dropping the tank? Ebay seller jbass195 sells a 3/8" inline fuel check valve. I have installed these in two of my own vehicles and in a couple of friends rides too.

Where in the line did you install this?

Where in the line did you install this?

Just outside of the tank, on my Renix between the tank and the fuel filter. Simply sliced the rubber fuel line and two worm clamps.

Thanks for the input! I plan to get the fuel gauges out and take a close look at the fuel rail pressures. If they are ok I will find the TPS check procedures and see if that may be the problem. If the electrical checks ok then it is new fuel pump time (I already have one or I would try the external check valve). I have seen quite a few post about this or similar starting issues. If I find the problem I will follow up with a post. Thanks again.... this is a Great Forum!1

Be sure and check how fast the pressure drops off after shutting down, that will let you know if the check valve is the problem (or part of the problem).

Back