• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Revising transmissin cooler.. few questions..

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
I'm moving my cooler from the driver side in front of the e-fan to the passenger side in front of the mech fan, similar to the stock location. I will also be pointing the hose barb fittings down. I'm doing this because a) better cooling at low speeds, b) with the cooler on the driver the hose has to make too many sharp bends and an excess length of hose is needed. I will also be cutting and flaring the hard line that runs under the oil pan (supply line) so it will point toward the front, like the return line already does. That will give the hose a straighter path to the cooler. The quick disconnect and soft line on the return line will also be replaced using threaded fittings. The quick disconnect at the lower radiator fitting will remain just because I don't know what else to do with it. BTW, I hate quick disconnects.

I'm going to be using Parker 836-6 Pusk-lok 3/8" hose. That way I can use either Russell's Twist-lok AN fittings of Parker's Push-lokT fittings.

I haven't decided on going with AN, NPT, or other. Suggestions? Any reason to go with one type of fitting over the other?

Also, I am considering putting a transmission remote filter under the radiator behind the front panel. Any thoughts on the filter?

-Chris

I also hate quick disconnects. They get full of random road crap and I can't get them loose easily :soapbox:

AN implies you're looking at flared fittings, NPT implies pipe threads (unless you're using normal 45 degree flare fittings and I'm confused?) - if I'm interpreting this right, I would lean towards AN, NPT thread fittings are going to require PTFE pipe dope or thread tape which is a pain when stuff is already covered in transmission fluid.

I don't see any personally. It'll flow either way. The only thing I can see a problem with is if you try to drain the fluid out of it, you'll only get the parts in each end loop. A little more sediment might settle in the bends, but with fluid flowing I doubt that'll happen.

Dont point the fittings on the cooler down,it can trap air in the cooler!
P1040481.jpg

... I hadn't thought of that. Good catch!

The majority of the installs I have seen while googling show the hoses pointed down... idk... but I have noticed the lack of space we have behind the grill compared to most other vehicles.. just never noticed before.

a friend of mine cant take his xj on ANY trip without blowing out his cooler lines at least once...

please post some pics, maybe some prices, once youve got it all figured out.

the fluid pressure from the pump is enough to force the air out within a couple of days. air is much easier to shove around than tranny fluid

Not when there are parallel paths to flow from.We had 2 plate coolers mounted fittings down,Infared showed no fluid at the top of the coils!They now flow once turned sideways and also make the input on the bottom and return on top.

I was on the fence about mounting the cooler down. The brochure for the cooler says you can mount it down, but it doesn't make sense, as RCP said, how will it get the air out. Hose routing would have been so much easier. Any how. I've done a few possible hose routing diagrams.

toc.jpg

The orange and grey thing is the filter, which is mounted behind the front cross member. I'm leaning toward A.... but also maybe not even doing the filter...

I've been told that mounting the cooler, with the fittings facing down is one of the best ways to mount them. The pressure will push all the air out(there is just too much volume of fluid to not use most, if not all the rows when you're up in the rpm's) and with them down, there is less chance of sediment building up and blocking a row in the cooler(versus them facing up), to the side I don't think it matters. I mounted mine to the side and bent some 3/8 stainless tube instead of hose.

I've been told that mounting the cooler, with the fittings facing down is one of the best ways to mount them. The pressure will push all the air out(there is just too much volume of fluid to not use most, if not all the rows when you're up in the rpm's) and with them down, there is less chance of sediment building up and blocking a row in the cooler(versus them facing up), to the side I don't think it matters. I mounted mine to the side and bent some 3/8 stainless tube instead of hose.

If you have sediment issues, you have bigger problems than temps!And no,on a plate cooler there is to little pressure(across the plates,because of the parallel paths) to force the air out!

I got most of the parts and I am running the hose like in B. That push-loc stuff is no joke. Its not exactly push as described.. more like lube up, heat hose and shove. It won't be separating any time soon. I'm mounting the cooler with the ports horizontal and putting it on the passenger side.

Back