• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension Guru's plz help

FJCruisinXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, Here is my specs.

96 XJ-4.0
D44 8 Lug front, TNT Y-Link, heim OTK steering, Hydro assist, 8" skyjacker coils, 5.38's, ARB, 7100 Bilstiens

14 Bolt rear, BOR 6" Flex E leaves,Ruffstuff antiwrap perches, pinion shim same width & length as perch, 5.38's, Detroit, 5100 Bilstiens, Shackle relocation brackets, stock shackles.

37x12.50x17 Iroks w/crager soft 8.

When I put the Jeep in reverse and lightly hold the brake I can squat the rear enough to bottom out any length & style shackle I put on it, aslong as the shackle starts out at 45* angle at ride height. When I do the same only in drive I can raise the rear untill the shackle is vertical.

When traveling normal speeds (10-25 MPH) on rough dirt roads the shackle will bottom out (lay horizontal against the relocation brackets) and makes all kinds of bad metal noises.

I have trimmed as much of the bracket as possible but it still hits, hitting the bumper mount area.

What I want to know is, will an anti wrap bar fix this problem. I know it will fight wrap but if someone could show me a drawing that will show how it will keep the rear from squating that much I would appreciate it.

I cannot wrap my head around how an anti wrap bar, traction bar, ladder bar will keep the rear from squating.

I've got the brackets from ruffstuff and all the tubing, heims, bushings, & shackles to build a bar. I just need some concrete evidence that proves I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks Guys.

A anti wrap bar won't help the squating. It sounds like you need to make your shackle angle a little steeper. 45 degrees in my opinoion is a little to shallow. I would try to get it around 70-60. And the stock shackle is way to short to allow full travel in a 6" pack. I run a 4.5 with a 1.25 inch shackle at aroun 60 degrees and get awesome flex and smooth ride.

A anti wrap bar won't help the squating. It sounds like you need to make your shackle angle a little steeper. 45 degrees in my opinoion is a little to shallow. I would try to get it around 70-60. And the stock shackle is way to short to allow full travel in a 6" pack. I run a 4.5 with a 1.25 inch shackle at aroun 60 degrees and get awesome flex and smooth ride.

This is what I was thinking too, is anti wrap bars don't stop it from squatting right just help keep the from axle twisting with torque and acceleration.

How are the bushings sounds kinda like they could be bad as well as a bad shackle angle.

I would think you are looking at springs being too soft for the depth of gears and that bigger tires or stiffer springs might do the trick.
You know you've wanted 39s anyway.

sounds like your shackle is too flat. to compress those 6" leaves they must gain a couple inches in length which brings the shackle back so far that it lays flat and hits

39s are high on my list, after the 5.0 of course.

Bushings are brand new.

Building an anti wrap bar.

KTM Racer- I understand what your saying. Going to try another set of shackles, yet again.

It does ok, but I lose alot of traction in the rear due to it jacking up when the front is bound and lifting the weight off of the rear axle.

If I can get his worked out then it should do really well.

not to sound like a jerk, but why is your shackle anything but 90 degrees? mine is 90 with a treaflex 1.75 in shackle on 5.5 in re full leaf pack, j/w your axle must not be shimmed at all

Back