• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre 1997 Overhead console swap-Temp. not reading?

jeeperboy

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know or has done the overhead console swap in their XJ? Many years ago I installed one in my jeep, plugged in the wiring harness to the existing plugs and done. Well the map lights work, the compass read out works but the temp. read out stays at 0*? I'm guessing that i don't have the necessary temp sensor on the jeep or??? Btw my xj is a 1996 and the overhead console is from that same model. I think the 1997+ overheads are much different? thanks

Harness runs by battery to sensor right behind front bumper center. Sensor is about 2inch x 3/4 roughly.

The sensor would be attached to the front crossmember behind the bumper if you have it. I assume you don't since your XJ was not configured for OHC. FWIW you will probably need to drop the front bumper to find everything.

As said above you probably don't have the temp sensor installed - I've managed to both install and remove the sensor without pulling the front bumper, but I did have to pull the header panel instead. If my bumper mount bolts weren't so rusty it would have been easier to pull the bumper.

No picture, but here is the part number: 4688 204 (for 1993 and later) 5266 203 (1991-1992)

You will also probably need a jumper cable, part number 5600 9232 (it's got the same connector on each end, and is about 3-4 feet long. Plugs into the harness near/under the battery mount and fuse box, snakes out through the front of the frame, then along the front crossmember to the sensor mounting point, which is on the same bolt as the lower center bracket for the fiberglas header panel.) The jumper cable does not seem to be year dependent pre-97, it's pretty much the same length as far as I can tell and the two sensors (I have a few OHCs from my attempts to reverse engineer them, one is from a 91 and one is from a 93 or a 94, I forget) have the same exact connector housing so it should be compatible.

kastein, thanks for the info. I'll check the dealer for pricing and availability. If it's not too expensive, I'll buy them.

I'm not positive on this but it looks like the OHC on 97+ XJ's were redesigned and they provide much more vehicle feedback then the 96 down, besides just the compass, temp and keyless entry? (isn't that what that little dome is for in the middle of the console? I never had keyless entry anyway?)

Funny how you mentioned about having a few OHC's and tried to reverse engineer them? Many years ago when I got the OHC, I had to cut/saw the last 1/4 or 1/3 to get it to fit under my in cab roll bar. Not to mention cut my headliner to get it to fit. Not the prettiest install but it has stayed up there ever since.

grab it at a junkyard! They'll charge you like five bucks for the cable, sensor, and bracket. And you'll get to look at how it's mounted so you know EXACTLY how to install it on yours!

I actually mostly succeeded at reverse engineering the OHC wiring pinout, I confused the temp sensor wiring for the CCD bus (was getting ahead of myself, CCD bus only went to the OHC on 97+ I believe!) and missed the purpose of the wire that controls the display brightness via turning the headlight knob. Other than that I got everything right. Cutting the headliner wasn't too bad, I threw a ton of masking tape on it and grabbed the tape measure and went nuts with a pen, then used a good sharp box cutter.

The dome there *is* for the keyless entry (which sucks, it's crappy line of sight IR) but there are five or six different wiring harnesses for the roof section of the cabin wiring and some of them don't have the connector for the keyless entry, or don't have the connector for the OHC. If the harness you get has the connector for the OHC the keyless entry cable will be long enough to reach to where it is with an OHC, otherwise it'll be only long enough to reach the front of the OHC, where the keyless entry without OHC is mounted. I am going to have to cut my cable and extend it when I get around to making my keyless entry work again, or I might just hide a two-meter ham radio, TNC, GPS unit, and microcontroller board up there and make myself a custom keyless entry/APRS "ham-lojack" system, haven't decided how much time I want to spend on it yet.

Back