• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ran into driveshaft problem help

xj944.0

NAXJA Forum User
i was in the woods today i just put a 3 in lift on my 94 xj and the driveshaft fell out of the transmisson. any ideas on why this happened? im thinkin because of the lift i need a longer driveshaft or possibly new u joints?

yea i went under neath it and the driveshaft was still in the rear end like the u joints didnt break the thing just fell out like nothing was broken on it it just fell out of the transsmission i have a stock driveshaft and was hearing noises what i thought was bad u joints but i guess not

Guys used to talk about using the slip-yoke from a YJ Wrangler to regain an inch or so of spline engagement.

But searching now, I'm seeing that there's some disagreement as to whether that really works.

I guess you could get a custom made driveshaft, or get yours lengthened locally.
But by the time you spent that much cash, you'd be most of the way to a SYE. Then you can bolt in a stock XJ front shaft.

That'd be the MUCH better solution.

Robert

well i work at a garage i was thinkin of gettin a junkyard driveshat cuttin my in half and welding and inch long peice in think that would work

well i work at a garage i was thinkin of gettin a junkyard driveshat cuttin my in half and welding and inch long peice in think that would work

A driveshaft NEEDS to be balanced.

Let me try to find you a link on the sye... It'll save me a lot of typing!

Robert

I run an Advance Adapter SYE and Tom Woods shaft, because seven years ago (!) they were about the only game in town.

Both are great products, and I know T/W is a big NAXJA supporter.

The AA has come way down in price, but I think there are cheaper options, too. And assuming you run an automatic, you can just use a stock front shaft in the rear, like I said.

Sure do love my Woody, though.

Robert

wait do i can just use a stock front in the rear
Yes, not as strong as the Tom Woods, but next to free at the junkyards.

and what site can i order them from

http://sponsorship.naxja.org/
http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Like I said, if you shop around, you may find it cheaper. But TW did good by me, the club, and a lot of guys around here.

could i possibly make a spacer by the rear end
That sounds like a pretty bad idea to me...

Robert

either go with a sye or you could drop your t-case but a sye is better in the long run.

if i swap out the spline end that goes into the tranny with the spline end on the front driveshaft would it work?

There is no spline end on a front driveshaft.

Back