• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What shocks on a 8.8 swap?

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so my 8.8 is swapped in but now I have only about 2" of uptravel in my shocks. How do I figure out what shocks to replace them with? I am using a Treks U-bolt eliminator kit on this with they're shock mounts.

Last edited:
How much lift are toy running? Which UBE did you get (1" ??) ?

I'm at 5.5" to 6" of lift in the rear and I'm running 8.8 with a Treks 1" UBE and shock mounts. The rear springs are 3.5 Rubicon express springs, 1.5 longer shackle and 1" UBE and I currently run 8" 7100 Bilsteins with a pin bar eliminator. I' going to relocate the upper and lower shock mounts to accomidate a 10" shock.

I'm running the RE 5.5" LA with the 1.5" UBE. Right now i'm running the 6" lift Rusty's shocks because I was short on cash when I did the lift. I either want to run Bilstein or RE mono's Maybe I should subtract the distance from the old mount to where it sits now and then add 1.5 for the UBE's?

Last edited:
I'm running 4.5 RE springs with Dodge van mains and RE boomerang shackles. Overall I should be somewhere around 5-5.5" of lift in the rear. I re-located the stock axle shockmounts even with the bottom of the axle an I'm running stock length shocks with 2" of bump stop added. It works. More down-travel would be nice but it's simply not possible without re-locating the upper mount.

The best way to figure out what shocks you need is to measure. (make sure you have bump stopped first, as well as limited the suspension travel if necessary)

Take the shocks off, and by either flexing it out on something, or using jacks, get a measurement from the upper shock mount to the lower shock mount when the suspension is under compression and when it is at full extension. Then get a measurement of the distance at static ride height.

Call up the companies you are thinking of ordering from, and talk with a member of their technical assistance teams, and have them help find which shocks are best for you.

I did this when I ordered my Bilsteins. It will prevent you from using your shocks as limit straps or bump stops, which will greatly reduce the life of your shocks.

You really can't just go with "3 inch lift shocks, etc" from companies, because those are recommended shocks for lifts with stock shock mount locations. (How do you think they determined which shocks are best for which height? They measured)

Last edited:
just ask cherokeefreak, since the 8.8 came in some Cherokees stock from the factory, you should just be able to use stock shocks!

:dunce:

Begster is actually right.

8.8 is a Ford rear end...Are you thinking of an 8.25?

No, he is talking about the thread from a couple days ago where the guy was claiming an 8.8 came stock in the Cherokee.

Edit: This post.
Careful, that post is full of 'win'

Last edited:
I honestly don't get alot of uptravel if I just flex out the rear. The RE springs are so stiff that it just lifts the rear and compresses the front. Not really sure how to go about that one. I have to be in a good situation to get much compression out of the rear. But I can figure out the droop easily enough.

Back