• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Shaft Bearings

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
So my fan starts squeaking on me yesterday, sounded like the bearing was starting to go on it.. by the time I get to the car wash, its making this unbearable sound. I look at it, and sure enough, there was so much play in it, that the fan was kickin down and hitting my crank pulley. So I got it apart last night, and its really weird. Pulled the fan and assembly off, it is fine. There is a shaft that comes out of what looks like a bracket. The fan and pulley go on this shaft. The bearings for the shaft seem to be on the inside of the bracket, and it is completely toast.

Anyone else have thios problem? Suggestions?

(1994 XJ 4.0L H.O with A.C)

Are you speaking of the clutch fan? If so then if it was like my '96, then your clutch fan mount is also your AC compressor mount. It is a pressed in bearing into the housing. I can not remember how much it was, but close to or over $100 seems right.

Yea the clutch fan.. my dad stopped by the dealer to get a diagram. The bearings are pressed into the bracket and cannot be replaced. You have to buy a whole new bracket, and its like 190 bucks.. b.s

yea but you need to replace this asap otherwise you will be out of operation soon. At the Moab FF, James' did the same thing. One day it was really noisy...the next day it locked up and chewed up the serpentine belt.

While you are at it, you might as well replace the clutch fan at the same time since you have it all apart. Also look to see if there is anything else that might need replacing.

djblade311 said:
yea but you need to replace this asap otherwise you will be out of operation soon. At the Moab FF, James' did the same thing. One day it was really noisy...the next day it locked up and chewed up the serpentine belt.

Yea Im in the middle of replacing it.. when it happened i was just on my way to the car wash, and after i was done washing it, I got my bro to tow me home so I didnt do anymore damage... Its apart right now, and I have the bracket off, Im gonna look at my options tomorrow.

Back