• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ w/ 7' snow plow--overheating

Property Mgr

NAXJA Forum User
My 93 Country XJ, 4.0L, 4x4, tow pkg, overheats when driving with the snow plow hooked up--an old 7' Western cable type plow. With the plow off, the XJ generally runs at 210--usually no overheating issues. The OEM fan appears to work but this does not bring the temp down when driving around town with the plow on--quickly climbs to 240-260 on hills with the plow in the air. I realize the plow is blocking air from the radiator when I'm driving accross town. It does not seem to overheat when I'm plowing with the plow down.

Any suggestions for modifying the cooling system to keep the temp down when driving around town with the plow up? Also I'm generally in 4x4 when driving with the plow up--snow on the streets and usually below 32 degree weather.

Thanks

You need to increase air flow.

Buy a ZJ HD fan clutch, NAPA part number 272310, $44, direct fit replacement. It will help with pulling air through.

You could also consider adding hood vents to help with heat dissipation, or use some washers at the hood hinge mounts to raise the rear of the hood.

Straight-on airflow is blocked, but there's enough room between plow and grille to allow enough air in if everything is working right. I've run one or the other plow vehicle for 40-odd years (though never an XJ), and although they always run warmer, it shouldn't overheat unless there's something else wrong.

I'd make sure the fan clutch is really engaging properly. If you also have an electric fan, make sure it's coming on when it should. Perhaps you could put in a switch to turn on the electric fan manually. If you don't have an electric fan, perhaps you could put one in.

Also, for any vehicle that age in a place where a snowplow is not a curiosity, I'd check the radiator for fin corrosion. If your radiator has rotten fins, it may not be bad enough to overheat in good conditions, but it will always be marginal, and once its capacity is exceeded, nothing will help.

take the plow off, get a beater for that, thats xj abuse.or drain all rad fluid add new fluid and a bottle of royle purple ice,,it should drop temp by 15-20*.

do the cooling fins in the radiator pull out really easy? I got a modine/proliance heavy duty radiator for just under $200 while I was replacing my water pump, I also put a hesco thermostat housing (DO NOT overtighten these, they will crack, and you'll have to get a new one or fix it with careful welding) and a stant 'superstat' (stock temp) in. Before doing this under normal city driving temps would creep up, on highway (55mph backroads) it ran hot, and after the coolant temp needle is steady at the '2' in '210', so I'm guessing it's 190.

Back