• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission fluid spraying on my front axle?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed some sort of fluid had covered the front axle of my XJ and had dripped onto the driveway. At first I thought I had a leaking radiator hose or something, but when I touched the fluid, I noticed that it was transmission fluid. I looked at the tranny fluid lines and they seem like they are covered in fluid too.

Obviously I'm leaking fluid from somewhere in the front of the Jeep. The radiator is only a couple of years old, so I don't think it's the source of the leak. I am guessing that some of the tranny hoses are going south, but have zero experience dealing with tranny issues. What do I do? Replace all the lines? Try to find which one is leaking and just replace the one? What level of difficulty am I looking at here?

This must be a pretty substantial leak if it has sprayed all over my front axle. The fluid level is still full though. Is there a tranny cooler line kit available? I know I asked a lot of questions, but please answer the ones that you know the answers to. Thanks.

Suspicious is that the trans is still "full".

An overfilled AW4 is known for turning the dipstick tube into a fountain when the trans gets good and hot.

Anyway, you need to clean up the mess, make sure that the trans is filled to the correct level when HOT and idling in PARK.

Then check the lines for a few days, use a bright spotlight, and see if you can locate any leak(s).

Most trans line leaks can be fixed with worm clamps and an appropriate material rubber hose.

It's not uncommon for the clamps that hold the steel cooler line along the engine pan to wear through the line and cause a leak. If you have the auxiliary cooler, that would be in front of the radiator towards the bottom.

Sure its not power steering fluid?

start it up, leave it in park, crawl underneath w/ a flashlight and probably some eye protection. if its substantial, you'll see it. if you don't see it, x2 on checking steering. it MIGHT help to have someone turn the wheel back and forth at that point.

Power steering fluid is a definite possibility. I didn't even think of that. I'll check it out in more detail in the daytime and report back. Thanks for the ideas.

I suspect the cooling lines from the tranny to the radiator. VERY common failure over time.

As mentioned, get under it, get a good light, clean things off and isolate the leak.

also - NAPA, atleast here, sells the entire hard/soft lines that go from tranny to radiator. They include the quick release clips and Orings to get it all in.
My bet is power steering leak

Thanks for everyone's input. Right now I still have no idea where the leak is coming from, and that is after staring at it for about 10 minutes. I am now leaning towards the idea that it might actually be power steering fluid, but like I said, I can't determine where it's coming from. Both the tranny fluid and the power steering fluid are at their normal levels, so this one is making me scratch my head still. I'll post any updates.

which side of the axle is the fluid on? also, give your hard lines a good check. i had a upper control arm crush one near the oil pan and start leaking. if you do splice in a section of soft line, make sure you double clamp both sides.

also - NAPA, atleast here, sells the entire hard/soft lines that go from tranny to radiator. They include the quick release clips and Orings to get it all in.
My bet is power steering leak
How much for the kit? RockAuto's price for all the lines (except the one I already have a spare of, amusingly) is like 65 bucks for Dorman parts. I'm trying to find the cheapest I can without getting ultra-crap quality (and I trust Dorman.)

Just to ad my own similar experience and resolution here.....about a week ago I came home and noticed transmission fluid pouring out from under the front of the Jeep. I investigated and found the cooler lines had in fact failed. My first indication was looking straight down at the ground with the hood up on the XJ. I could see fluid leaking inside the metal fitting on the cooler line. I also just changed my power steering fluid so I could tell they were a difference color...It was definitely ATF coming out dripping all over the ground under the radiator. My XJ is 2 wheel drive so I don't have a front axle to soak but I suspect you might have the same sort of leak. I took it back to the shop that replaced the line less than 6 months ago and they replaced them under warranty. When I originally paid them it cost me $200 to get all the lines replaced.

Back