• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front sway bar help

keyoctave

NAXJA Forum User
1995 Country, 4WD. All stock. 180,000 miles.

I measured the front sway bar and it was 1" dia. Ordered a prothane kit for my size bar. All going smoothly untill I was to place the two bushings that sandwich the bar at the top of eack link. They are to big. Can't put the washer and nut on the top and tighten down. I can do it with a poly bushing on the bottom and the old rubber one on the top but that is not how I want to do this (and my jeep is my DD so I may have to).

Is there a trick to this or do I have the wrong size bushings for the links? All the other bushings in the kit fit perfect.

You could try loosening the bushing mount bolts to see if you can change the angle a bit.

You could try putting on the bottom washer, the poly bushing, the bar, then use the nut to compress things a bit, then try to add the top bushing, compress again with the nut, then see if you can get the top washer on for a final assembly.

Ok. I might give that a try...

Could I slice the bushings in half (less height) to make them fit?

Also, in the SM, the torque specs are as follows:

Frame rail bolts----------40 ft/lbs
Axle bracket link nut----70 ft/lbs
Top of link nut-----------27 ft/lbs

The specs are for the stock rubber bushings. Do I use the same for poly?

Was able to figure out that using a crow bar as leveragre on the top of the swaybar end that goes over the link, I can compress it enough to put on the upper bushing, washer and nut. Just need two people to do the job.

Still wondering about the torque specs.....

Thanks!

Yes, use the stock torque specs.

Back