• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't get stupid CPS off

NVRwheels

NAXJA Forum User
I can't get my damn CPS off my 96 4.0 ax-15 XJ. I have dropped the front drive shaft and removed the slave cylinder for better access. I have a wrench and a few extensions. But everytime I get the socket on the bolt it either slips off b/c of to much pressure or I just can't get enough torque to budge the bolts.

I sprayed the crap out of them with PB blaster. This is a stock XJ so theirs bairly any room under it to work.

Also it has 190,000 miles on in it and i think this is probably the stock CPS

any ideas?

more blaster, and a breaker bar is all i can think of. or if you dont have a breaker bar, a long tube on your standard wrench. but be careful, with all that added tourqe you can do damage.

Seriously? CPS bolts hardly have any torque on them, I'm thinking you must always be slipping off the bolts and not realizing it. Use a 1/4 ratchet with a ton of extensions and an 11mm socket, it should come off. If not, slip a small cheater bar on the ratchet. Good luck.

yeah i wanna say my CPS bolts were torque'd no more then 5ft/lbs.. easily broken loose with a 1/4 drive.

I've run into them very tight, a good deal more than they're supposed to be. Rust, maybe, or maybe a previous repair. I have some recollection of having run into Loctite on one. All I can recommend is that you make sure that you get the socket squarely on the bolt, and arrange whatever extensions and flex joints you need so that you can get one hand on the extension that comes straight off the socket to steady it and hold it on.

Sometimes it helps if you put a piece of hose over the universal joint to keep it from flopping.

Drop the crossmember and lower the rear of the tranny a bit. Never seen very tight CPS bolts though.

I've been searching for a 5 point socket. Where did you get yours?

You can get the pentagram sockets at any Occult Parts Store. Just ask the witch at the counter! LMAO!

Seriously, a 6-point socket is best.

I've been searching for a 5 point socket. Where did you get yours?
You can get big ones wherever fire hydrants and manhole cover bolts are sold.

84540_pixa.jpg

Back