• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got me an 8.8...

PapaGeno21

NAXJA Forum User
I think it was a 99, Mercury Mountaineer, 3.73 Limited Slip! It was my friends, she wrecked her truck, and I went to the junkyard and saw her truck, I also love how its got brand new brakes, she installed them a month ago!

But I have a ?

I took this flange with me, will it go onto a stock Cherokees front driveshaft?

Flange88.jpg

Here is what it looks like!

88Axle.jpg

TheArsonist21 said:
I took this flange with me, will it go onto a stock Cherokees front driveshaft
Uhhh Mr. Arsonist? The 8.8 goes on the rear of the XJ. :laugh3:

The 8.8 uses the same u-joints as the XJ. So if you have the flange for the pinion and the ubolts, yes it fits.

Mr. Arsonist, the first part of my reply was A JOKE!

The second sentence was my input to the answer to your question.

Good luck on the install. Don't forget to cut the spring mounts first and then set the pinion angle and tack them in. And remember the 8.8 has an offset differential, so don't get concerned when it looks like it's not straight.

Yeah, I know it was a joke!

Its alright dude.

Yeah, I am going to angle the pinion up more than normal, so I dont need shims to run the SYE im gonna get when I install this beast.

How good are Limited Slip Differentials offroad? Are they better than an open carrier?

Will a stock front driveshaft work in the rear with this rear end?

Last edited:
My condolences. Make sure you get the tubes fixed b4 you install it.

LS's are obviously better than opens off road. I ran a track lock rear (8.25) and true track front (D-30) for just over a year off road. They got me places I couldnt go before. When I put a locker in the rear, I really started to go places, and get the "terror at 1/2 a mile an hour" bug. The True track was good upfront because I would get suck before I actually broke anything.
If you have the coin, go for a locker in the rear, detroit or lunchbox either or... The capability of the XJ will improve beyond belief. Keep a Limited slip up front till you really want to climb nasty stuff, that way you will spend less in axle parts.

I have set up 2 8.8's in YJ's so I can't comment on the length of the front XJ shaft in this application. But both YJ's had to get new drive shafts. Maybe someone else has the answe on the front fitting with an 8.8.

Good luck......

.Way to go !
My 1998 Ford 8.8 rear axle with LSD was something like $500.00 bucks here in the Heartland of America ,.. and I might add .with broken discs + watery sludge-Seems like "our friends" the junkyard vendor had been carefully monitoring the pages of the 4X4 forums to set the price.
congratulations and a great deal !..

$800 Canadian for my 8.8 w/ls and 4.10s

In regards to the Limited slip for offroad use, some poeple have commented on applying the ebrake and creating drag when the limited slip starts sliping which supposidly fools the limited slip that its back on ground again and you regain some traction. dont know if its true.. .but give it a try.

DaffyXJ said:
Uhhh Mr. Arsonist? The 8.8 goes on the rear of the XJ. :laugh3:

The 8.8 uses the same u-joints as the XJ. So if you have the flange for the pinion and the ubolts, yes it fits.

the xj uses a 1310 ujoint and the 8.8 uses 1330
you need a neapco "0134hd" joint to mount the companian flange from the 8.8 to an xj shaft

justin

Thanks dude, I just searched that and I got the part numbers off some other site.

For anyone who needs them, the Autozone part numbers are:

Brute Force: 1-0134BF
Neapco: 1-0134HD

azxj87 said:
the xj uses a 1310 ujoint and the 8.8 uses 1330
you need a neapco "0134hd" joint to mount the companian flange from the 8.8 to an xj shaft

justin

My Bad, checked with the YJ owners, they picked up a new yoke adapter for 1310's.

maybe I missed it but will the front d/s from an xj work for the rear with the 8.8 without an sye. I thought if I mounted my spring perches using an angle gauge I should be able to get the angle close enough not to have vibes. Also If I go to a RE Hack N Tap will a front shaft still be long enough? If so which shaft do I need.

ive been debating between a 8.8 and an 8.25 for my xj...im thinking a 8.8 is gonna be the ticket becasue they are cheaper, have more locker selection, comes with disc brakes, if i can find one with 410 i dont need to regear any thing i should know about in regards of making my decsion

Back