• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some general noob questions

Jiggity1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, had my 97 xj classic for about 3 years. No problems really except I had to replace water`pump and the radiator somehow sprung a leak but no big deal.
My main concern is handling at highway speeds. I commute about 20 miles to work at highway speeds and the jeep feels somewhat unstable. Seems like about an inch or two of play in the steering wheel. It does not feel terribly loose it just feels like an off road vehicle trying to go faster on the road than it safely can. So Is there something to replace that will tighten up the steering feel? I also get a lot of body roll. If you rock the wheel back and forth at 55 it feels like you could easily get it on two wheels or even roll it. I am afraid I will have to swerve at some point to avoid a branch or animal and I could really loose control. My final concern is traction. I can't get the jeep to burn out on dry pavement by just gassing hard (unless I am going around a corner) but In the rain I the back wheels spin waaaaayyyy too easy. It is hard get traction from a start. If I were to gass it at highway speeds in the rain to pass someone I think I would loose traction and spin out. I really have to baby it in the rain. I dread the snow this winter and that is the main reason I bought the thing. So Is this a tire issue or do the stock differetials just suck? My tires have plenty of tread but they are stock size. Would a locker help in the rain or or are they only for slower wheeling speeds? Like I say, it is my first jeep and I am a noob to the 4 wheeling thing. I can do the work myself, I just need to know what work to do. Sorry for the length. Any input would be great!

I'd bet on a broken sway bar linkage also, I have seen actual broken sway bars (96 dodge minivan, the fracture was right in the middle of one of the bushings so it went unseen by everyone for a long time) but usually the linkages break first.

Thanks for the replys, I will check the sway bar when I get home but now what about my rear traction issues? Highway driving in the snow? Scares me. :tear:

I'd bet on tires for the rear traction issue. Wrangler RT/S tires?

+1 I worked for jeep for awhile and the GY street tires suck balls in the wet. Get a better set and you will be fine... Besides for winter you have 4wd use it.

Parakeet

It is with slippery ground (or a Command-Trac fulltime transfer case) but just remember - 4wd lets you get into trouble way faster, but does not help you getting out of trouble (stopping.) Keep that in mind and you should be fine.

Is 4wd safe for highway speeds?

It depends. If it has the Fulltime (NP242) transfer case then yes its great year round. If it has part time (np231) 4wd you don't want to use it on dry pavement. Your swaying issue could very well be a broken sway bar link or bad shocks or one of many other issues. I would also check your tie rod ends and track bar bushing for wear that could be causing the play in your steering wheel. Where are you in Indiana? Overall the XJ is a pretty good vehicle for any situation. Oh and a tire with better traction could get rid of the tire spin.

It is with slippery ground (or a Command-Trac fulltime transfer case) but just remember - 4wd lets you get into trouble way faster, but does not help you getting out of trouble (stopping.) Keep that in mind and you should be fine.

x2, spend a lot of time recovering A**hats with 4wd that don't have enough common sense to slow down. 4wd means squat w/o traction, and if you are driving too fast for your brakes, under any conditions, then you are wearing your A**hat.

Check your stabilizer as already suggested, also check your components for wear, a little play in a couple of TRE can quickly degrade your steering.

Have the steering and front end components inspected for wear or damage. Inspect the bushings on the control arms, sway bay bracket, and sway bar links. If your shock have more than 75,000 miles on them get new ones. Buy good quality shocks, not the cheapest ones you can find. Make sure your tires ahve proper air pressure.

On road traction in rain or snow is dependent on your choice of tires. Most GoodYear tires in my experience, are crap. The best foul weather tires I have found are BF Goodrich T/A All Terrain tires. They work well in bad weather and if you rotate them regularly, they will last 50,000 miles.

X2 on the shocks..... Unless you're sure they are good, replace them.

If you don't have the time/resources right now to check every component of the steering for wear, at least get under there with a grease gun and grease every zerk you can find. You would be surprised how much that will help.

While your at it hit the driveshfts and any others you may find in the rear leafs or shackles.

The whole thing will take less than 10 minutes and will do you and your Jeep a world of good.

Back