• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which oil?

Jeepcrush4

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 1997 cherokee 4.0 and was in the process if doing an oil change. The engine was rebuilt by the second previous owner and was a liitle over 100k miles. I understand the idea of synthetic oil loosening gunk and varnish possibly causing blockage, but I've always had success with valvoline 10w30 synthetic. I've read that some experienced issues on going synthetic with high mile 4.0 engines. Some recommended havoline 10w40 while others said generic. I'll go with the consensus. Avoid synthetic? Any particular brand and weight? No oil leaks thus far.

I never had any leaks and I used Syntec for quite a while, starting at 200k. That is, no NEW leaks :)

I would say if the engine is in good shape with no leaks, synthetic should be fine. A lot of people on here like to run sell oil, but for high mileage I like castol gtx.

When I bought my 92 4.0 it had 183K on it, I switched to mobil 1 and have not had any problems. It now has 202K and runs like a new one. Just don't use (yellow death) Pens oil which contains candle wax or Frahm filters (absolute junk). The choice is up to you.

Full syn is not necessary, but if you want to go for it. I would recommend at least a synthetic blend. I've been running the Valvoline max life syn. blend and its working out well. In most other vehicles I have run Amsoil full syn., and probably will run it again in my XJ soon. My top 3 full syn.s are.. Amsoil, Pennzoil Platinum (only pennz/ product I will ever use, the rest are garbage. And the Valvoline Synpower. These 3 have ZDDP in them (Zinc, for those that don't know) which helps keep cast iron blocks strong.
As far as oil filters go, I recommend Wix/Napa Gold filters (made by Wix, usually cheaper), Bosch, Amsoil filters are great as well.

Full syn is not necessary, but if you want to go for it. I would recommend at least a synthetic blend. I've been running the Valvoline max life syn. blend and its working out well. In most other vehicles I have run Amsoil full syn., and probably will run it again in my XJ soon. My top 3 full syn.s are.. Amsoil, Pennzoil Platinum (only pennz/ product I will ever use, the rest are garbage. And the Valvoline Synpower. These 3 have ZDDP in them (Zinc, for those that don't know) which helps keep cast iron blocks strong.
As far as oil filters go, I recommend Wix/Napa Gold filters (made by Wix, usually cheaper), Bosch, Amsoil filters are great as well.

Quote:These 3 have ZDDP in them (Zinc, for those that don't know) which helps keep cast iron blocks strong.

Hallo. How can you know that? Is there a SL Mark on the oilcan?
I use 10W40 halfsynt.

wim

I have searched on the wonderful interweb about it.

The "synthetic blends" usually have something like 5% synthetic parts. I read a bunch about it a while back. They take a dino oil that they normally sell for say.. $4 a quart, add 5% synthetic to it, and charge $5.50 for it. Its marketing.. they make their biggest profit on "synthetic blend." Mobile 1 tried to stay out of that game.. but even they are now offering a synthetic blend.

Obvious comment. Oh no, not another oil thread! Please search.

And ZDDP os for flat tappet wear more than anything.

x2, ZDDP prevents premature wearing of the tappet/camshaft. I love my Rotella T 10W30 Dino. I would use Rotella synthetic but can't justify the cost considering I change oil every 3 months instead of on mileage.

zinc (something something) phosphate I believe. It's an additive that helps out with valve tappets and tends to preserve iron block engines better - or so I understand.

EDIT: Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio Phosphate. The EPA does not like it, engines do.

http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/ZDDP.htm

Last edited:
yeah, was just reading that... I'll take a working engine and a screwed catalytic converter that needs replacement over the reverse!

When i got my XJ it had 82,000mi on it, and I don't know what was used for oil before I bought it. I used Quaker State 4x4 full synthetic 10w30 for the first oil change, as I had used Quaker State for my two vehicles I owned before the Jeep. A friend of mine who is an auto tech swore Quaker was crap and told me to used Valvoline, so since then I have used Valvoline synpower, switching between 10w30 when it is warm, 5w30 when it's winter (here in Nebraska we have heat and cold extremes, I find the Jeep starts easier and warms up a bit faster with 5w30, as most of you im sure know). I have never had a problem, runs smooth as silk. got 103,000mi now, two years later. I change change every 3000mi.

Supposedly catalytic converters don't either.

well good thing I don't have one of those! :)

I (and all of us) have read a bunch about ZDDP and how it helps protect flat tappet lifters and cams. The science is pretty simple.

My inquiring mind wants to know, why exactly is it that newer-grade oils cannot effectively protect flat tappet lifters and cams? That's something no one has ever really talked about. Is it because the lifter/cam movement completely shears the oil barrier between the two? In a well-worn engine, a complete shearing like that seems improbable....especially on every single cam rotation (otherwise we'd have old XJs and TJs lying dead all over roads everywhere). Or is it another reason? Or is it really just internet wisdom and paranoia?

The new oil tests are brutal, and even the previous oil grades would fail pretty badly in some of them. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be able to protect a standard-service flat tappet engine pretty effectively, but then maybe I'm missing something. :anon:

Back