• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

25 million acres closing??

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone heard about this?

A great victory for the desert! BLM's WEMO Routes Overturned by the Federal Court

Submitted by orvwatch on Tue, 2009-09-29 18:54. COW Actions | News RULING PROTECTS CALIFORNIA DESERT LANDS
Judgement Overturns U.S. Bureau of Land Management Designation of More Than
5,000 Miles of Off-Highway Vehicle Routes in the California Desert

Eleven environmental organizations scored a huge victory in a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM), which manages 25 million acres of public land in southern California known as the California Desert Conservation Area (CDCA), which is home to numerous critical environmental, recreational and cultural resources, including many protected animal and plant species. The ruling, by the Hon. Susan Illston of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California impacts off-highway vehicle (OHV) routes established within the last 30 years, as well as the designation of future routes.
Attorneys for the plaintiffs, including Community ORV Watch, The Alliance for Responsible Recreation, California Wilderness Coalition, The Wilderness Society, Friends of Juniper Flats, Western San Bernardino Landowners Association, California Native Plant Society, the Center for Biological Diversity, the Sierra Club, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility and Desert Survivors argued that BLM's designation of OHV routes in the Western Mojave (WEMO) region of CDCA violates the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (FLPMA) and the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA). These Acts assure that environmental considerations, such as impacts to wildlife, soils, watersheds, vegetation and cultural resources, must be carefully analyzed and minimized prior to BLM's designation of OHV routes. The groups were represented by Robert Wiygul, Skye Stanfield and the Center for Biological Diversity.

More here

http://www.orvwatch.com/

First I heard of this but I find it nice that it sort of seems done behind the Offroad community's back... By this I mean, where were the people representing us?

I am curious what all areas this is talking about? Who are the "Public Employees group?" Who is the Juniper Flatts group?

I'll tell you where all the people are that are TRYING to represent you. We have very limited budgets. The personal off-road community does not get involved in land issues.

If you want example just work the CORVA booth with me this weekend at the ORE. Watch everyone just walk by and decline to help even at $30.00 per year for a membership. (Which is cheap)
We get our butts kicked by the enviro groups all day long by the amount of money their members donate. If we had 1/4 of their money we could make a difference.

Next you need to get involved and call YOUR representatives and let them know (politely) that you are an outdoor enthusiast and they need to keep our public lands open for public use.

Sorry for the rant, but the land use groups, CORVA, SDORC, ASA, Friends of Groups, etc have it very hard trying to raise money to hire attornys to help in the battle.

Did you know that if an enviro group files a lawsuit using the ESA and wins the government IE taxpayers foot the bill. Its not that way with the off road groups.

The Off-Road community as a whole is a joke, when you take the number off people who are "Off-Road" enthusiasts and take the percentage who actually get involved to keep our sport or hobby going is really sad. How many really do anything other than just use the land, maybe 5% to 10% on a good day! This is why we will eventually loose are land to the groups on the other side who get involved in large percentages. It is only getting worse as the older more responsible caring off-roaders disappear. Abusing, leaving trash, not sticking to the trails, destroying peoples property are the norm for a lot of the new younger off-roaders. Evey time I have done a Desert clean-up, it's hard not to agree with the people who want it closed.

:flamemad:

So we either REALLY get involved and stop this, or we will be forced to show up 200-300 strong, locked, lifted, and loaded for bear at their doorstep.

So we either REALLY get involved and stop this, or we will be forced to show up 200-300 strong, locked, lifted, and loaded for bear at their doorstep.

Everyone likes to use the land, but not fight for it.. :dunno:

I'll tell you where all the people are that are TRYING to represent you. We have very limited budgets. The personal off-road community does not get involved in land issues.

If you want example just work the CORVA booth with me this weekend at the ORE. Watch everyone just walk by and decline to help even at $30.00 per year for a membership. (Which is cheap)
We get our butts kicked by the enviro groups all day long by the amount of money their members donate. If we had 1/4 of their money we could make a difference.

Next you need to get involved and call YOUR representatives and let them know (politely) that you are an outdoor enthusiast and they need to keep our public lands open for public use.

Sorry for the rant, but the land use groups, CORVA, SDORC, ASA, Friends of Groups, etc have it very hard trying to raise money to hire attornys to help in the battle.

Did you know that if an enviro group files a lawsuit using the ESA and wins the government IE taxpayers foot the bill. Its not that way with the off road groups.

I understand where you are coming from. I have voiced my opinion with our government leaders and such when I hear about them. Today I copied the info on the link above to let my co-workers know what had happened. I just had not heard anything about this one before which surprised me as I heard all about Johnson Valley one and most of guys I work with ride bikes or wheel and generally spread the news, or I hear about it online etc. I just was wondering if these enviromental groups had tried to do this under the table is all, just like we see some legislation being passed without vote and such on different issues... and we find out about it afterwords. Please PM me with info on your group as I will see if next month I can sign up. Is there people up here in the high desert in these groups and have meetings and such? If so I would would like to attend/help. I also am planning on trying to make the cleaning the dezert thing that someone had a thread on a couple weeks ago, although when I tried to sign up on the website it was locked or something as it wouldnt let me in. Oh what is the ORE?

Last edited:
The Off-Road community as a whole is a joke, when you take the number off people who are "Off-Road" enthusiasts and take the percentage who actually get involved to keep our sport or hobby going is really sad. How many really do anything other than just use the land, maybe 5% to 10% on a good day! This is why we will eventually loose are land to the groups on the other side who get involved in large percentages. It is only getting worse as the older more responsible caring off-roaders disappear. Abusing, leaving trash, not sticking to the trails, destroying peoples property are the norm for a lot of the new younger off-roaders. Evey time I have done a Desert clean-up, it's hard not to agree with the people who want it closed.

:flamemad:

I agree with you on this too. I have seen various outdoor activities abused in various ways and it does ruin it for everyone who wants to do the right thing and have fun doing their hobby/sport.

I understand where you are coming from. I have voiced my opinion with our government leaders and such when I hear about them. Today I copied the info on the link above to let my co-workers know what had happened. I just had not heard anything about this one before which surprised me as I heard all about Johnson Valley one and most of guys I work with ride bikes or wheel and generally spread the news, or I hear about it online etc. I just was wondering if these enviromental groups had tried to do this under the table is all, just like we see some legislation being passed without vote and such on different issues... and we find out about it afterwords. Please PM me with info on your group as I will see if next month I can sign up. Is there people up here in the high desert in these groups and have meetings and such? If so I would would like to attend/help. I also am planning on trying to make the cleaning the dezert thing that someone had a thread on a couple weeks ago, although when I tried to sign up on the website it was locked or something as it wouldnt let me in. Oh what is the ORE?

No, this was not under the radar. I read about the lawsuit in the newspaper, also this is not legislation yet. I don't know the ramifications of the lawsuit, but I'm sure I will find out this weekend.
I applaud your help in helping with the land issues, if we could just get more off-roaders involved.
I am the show coordinator for CORVA (California Off Road Vehicle Association) I get to go to all the off road shows and try to educate people on how to off road responsible and sign up for membership, or donate to help fight the battle. Visit our website at www.corva.org
ORE (Off Road Expo)

No, this was not under the radar. I read about the lawsuit in the newspaper, also this is not legislation yet. I don't know the ramifications of the lawsuit, but I'm sure I will find out this weekend.
I applaud your help in helping with the land issues, if we could just get more off-roaders involved.
I am the show coordinator for CORVA (California Off Road Vehicle Association) I get to go to all the off road shows and try to educate people on how to off road responsible and sign up for membership, or donate to help fight the battle. Visit our website at www.corva.org
ORE (Off Road Expo)

just signed up :cheers: lets get these bastardshasta

I was at the Truckhaven event when the enviros sued CORVA to prevent them from having the event, the night before. So everyone shows up and is told that there is no official event. So instead of a nice organized run that had been checked and approved by biologists and botanists, it was a free for all...had a good time exploring the area, went back the next year to Ocotillo Wells. Good time again. Couldn't make it last year, but I plan on being back this coming year.

I plan on taking my pickup out in the desert surrounding me to pick up all the old appliances and crap people leave out there. Just have to work on it first. It needs to come back to at least stock height so I can fit some decent ATs and then put in a LSD since it's only a 2wd. I cruise around in my Jeep and see all the crud and it pisses me off. I'd grab it then, but half the stuff I find won't fit in the Jeep. I've thought of trying to organize a group of people out here to do this, but it never happens. We'll see though once I get my truck up and ready.

Sounds like its time for a NAXJA desert clean-up.

I keep my desert clean!!
:D

Anyway...you all know my involvement with keeping our lands open and to tell the truth I have seen most everyone of us do something to help out the cause. If it is only money that wins the battle, we could very well be screwed, but if it depends on us getting involved, I see no reason why we wouldn't prevail.
You guys (and NAXJA as a whole) kick ass when it comes to getting involved.
All I have ever had to do is ask.

But this time, its not about dirty deserts, its about people who just don't want anyone driving on dirt roads in the back country. The areas they are talking about closing are not off road parks, they are our BLM lands and the dirt roads (not off road trials) that run through them....

Rick, you are right about what they want to close, but the rotten apples of the Off-Road community give them all the ammo needed to prove the reasons why they should be closed.

Last edited:
This is a Center For Biological Diversity attack.
The only 'reason' we gave them is that we like to dive in the dirt.
If the roads were paved, they would have no problem.

Back