• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi Flow Cats

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to replace my cat. its not rattling yet, but I figure its 12 years old more than likely and I would like to get a high flow cat this time around. What are you guys using? I really like the spun hi flow cats but it seems you would have to weld in a bung for the o2 sensor.

You can pick up a NEW magnaflow high-flow cat from ebay for under 100$, some parts stores have them also. These are the ones that bolt in with the flange.

I wouldn't get a new cat until you know it is bad. Spend the money on something else like a lunchbox locker, etc. If it isn't bad, a high-flow won't gain you that much power.

I just talked to a muffler shop today, guys told me a customer added High Flow cats, did a dyno before and after. No power gains, wasted his money. There is still a porous core the exhaust has to go through, tough to improve flow through a dry sponge.

i have an ebay magnaflow cat on mine and they are cheap because they do not contain as much platnium and material for more flow - i had a cat that was clogged and it was 65 shipped so u really can not beat that PLUS they tuck very well and are smaller than stock - great for a belly up skid... with my flow 40 my exhaust sounds great - mine was a weld in

I just talked to a muffler shop today, guys told me a customer added High Flow cats, did a dyno before and after. No power gains, wasted his money. There is still a porous core the exhaust has to go through, tough to improve flow through a dry sponge.
What vehicle was this? Specs? A high flow cat will flow better than a cat that was made for an older XJ. Besides. A direct fit aftermarket cat is cheaper than a dealer/OEM replacement. The cat helps create backpressure as well. Depending on what sound you want, you can run a high flow cat with straight pipe all the way back and have no issues.
Technically, unless it is found necessary to be replaced, it is illegal to replace any SMOG devices.

Was it done on the same dyno at the same location?

What were the conditions; air temp, humidity, etc?

There are way too many variables when it comes to comparing runs like that. A 5hp gain can easily evaporate if the humidity and temp are higher on that day than the previous run.

Back