• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 trac loc question

kjpeter

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I have a rear axle from a 88 comanchee bolt in axle with a oem trac loc. Will the trac loc fit in a 96 XJ? I do not know if the 96 has bolt in axles or not because I have not picked it up from the local salvage yard yet. I know it would be better to get the c8.25 but I would do not do much off roading or wheeling with it and I would like to have limited slip.

Thank you
Kyle

Chances are that trac-loc in the 88 axle is completely worn out. The clutches are typically shot by the time they hit 50k miles or so.

As for swapping, are you saying you want to put the 88 axle into the 96, or just the limited slip?

The trac-loc will only fit in a D35 axle, and it requires changing out the whole carrier, which means re-setting up the R&P. Which is just not worth doing for a trac-loc.

Like Stuka was alluding to above, you'd have to rebuild the Trac-Lok due to its age and you'd have to reset the gears upon moving the carrier from the '88 to the '96 axle. In my opinion, not worth the expense just to gain an OEM LSD. I have an '87 Trac-Lok in my '99 right now due to swapping in a Dana 44 and I can tell you it doesn't help me at all off road (due to it being worn out).

Back