• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27 spline 8.25 strength question

f1tbiker6

NAXJA Forum User
yes i know the 29 spline 8.25 axles are stronger. right now im running a 27 spline in the rear with 3.55 gears and 33" tires. i was planning on re gearing to 4.56. i do not plan on locking the rear.

my question is, since i do not plan on locking the rear, will the 27 spline 8.25 with 4.56 gears be okay, or do i run high chances of snapping an axle? i havent worried about it with stock gears, so why would 4.56 gears change anything?

4.56 gears will multiply the engine torque more than stock 3.55 gears will - so it can stress the axle shafts more. If you don't go crazy with the gas pedal, you might be OK.

I've never heard of anybody breaking an 8.25 on anything less than 35's. Even the 27 spline. I have wheeled with that look on my face like it's about to grenade and still never had a problem. I run locked on 33's.

thanks guys. i think i will stick with the 27 spline, un locked. seems like plenty have run bigger tires and lockers in it and havent had any trouble.

The 8.25 (27 or 29 spline) is much stronger than most will give it credit for, with that said, some people could "F" up a anvil so you have to use some sense when your on the skinny.

Back