• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question in regards to snow wheelin'

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
Anyone here have experience with deep snow and a spooled rear end?

Im thinking about getting a Mini-spool for my D44. but my only concern is how it will do in sloppy conditions. obviously lockers are better, but for the budget i cant pull that off before this winter. should i go spool or stay open?

my .02 - a locker in the snow is a locker, period ! they all suck, lol. LSD, full locker, lunch box, etc.... the wheels gonna slip the LSD or auto lockers gonna kick in and yur gonna have posi, which = one sloppy rear end.

My opinion . . . . snow is the ultimate equalizer. it's all about how you drive, not the equipment you are runnin.

(i would still take a locker over open anyday of the week though)

Are you talking street or offroad only?
Street would suck but offroad would be great.
Your spool would be causing you to break traction.
I only played in deep snow (about 5 foot in gravel/logging roads) twice locked and it worked like a champ. Spooling is almost the same thing except when power is not applied.

well my rig goes from garage to trail and back. thats about it.
eventually i would like to think it will be up to the task of DD but by then i would like to be running a different setup

and as a "Trail rig" i would like to start trying some new trails (or actually succeed in some that i have failed to finish).. but the only limiting factor is being open/open. i figure a spooled rear will open new doors.

I figure an autolocker is probably locked up 95% of the time your in snow anyway. considering you have to keep momentum, something like an aussie will keep locked up with tires slipping in snow..

Well the street is where the issue is. Ice would be crazy with a spool.
If your not driving on the street you'll be fine.

Make sure your alignment is ok and you are good to go, bad alignment and lockers in the snow is scary to say the least.

Scott- My ford has a mini spool in the rear. I go to school in gresham (MHCC) and I've driven past you old place (?) a few times. If your still in the area, I'll stop by and show you how a spool feels/drives. even better if its raining.

IMO, its not bad at all, as long as you dont get stupid with it on the street. I do agree with rod. Snow IS the ultimate equalizer.

Last edited:
im actually down on 145th and powell now.

If i got a full spool instead of a mini-spool. will i have to have it installed by a shop? or can i just swap my Ring gear onto the full spool and throw it in?

you can do it, just make sure your gear pattern is good and backlash is ok. all youll need is a dial indicator and some gear marking compound. As long as the gears are the same, you should be fine. even better if the d44 isnt like a 9''.

Its still on my way home. you got my number, im out at 12 20 on M-W-F and 4 on T-TR. gimmie a ring if you wanna.

would love to but i cant. I dont have the money to get out there for one, and my front driveline is toast. and im also hot knifing my gumbos for the t-day run.

Anyone here have experience with deep snow and a spooled rear end?

Im thinking about getting a Mini-spool for my D44. but my only concern is how it will do in sloppy conditions. obviously lockers are better, but for the budget i cant pull that off before this winter. should i go spool or stay open?

You Should just wait. You can get around great in the snow open / open.

I would wait until you have the money to do what you really want to do. You can nickel and dime yourself out of just as much money mabye more doing stuff that you really don't want, and will keep changing.

I have wheeled my Jeep extensively open/open, Locker/Locker, Spool/Locker in the snow.

Like has been said before Snow is the ultimate equilizer. However, there are times that each maybe better than the other.

On compact snow and ice open/open is much better, gives you more control both on and off the trail.

In the deep soft stuff I would much prefer to be locked, no doubt about it.

I love my Spool over my locker both on the street (keep in mind mine rarely gets driven on the street) and on the trail. It doesn't make any noise, it is always locked, keeps the Jeep tracking strait.

I have actually driven over (up and down) several passes now with the spool and swampers in both 2wd and 4wd (with a front locker) and I was actually impressed with how controlable the rear end was with the spool around the corners on the ice. Yes, I took it slow, but no slower than anyone else on the road and it was fine.

I would argue the major downside to a rear spool compared to a rear locker is the additional tire wear on the street.

Michael

I have wheeled my Jeep extensively open/open, Locker/Locker, Spool/Locker in the snow.

Like has been said before Snow is the ultimate equilizer. However, there are times that each maybe better than the other.

On compact snow and ice open/open is much better, gives you more control both on and off the trail.

I love my Spool over my locker both on the street (keep in mind mine rarely gets driven on the street) and on the trail. It doesn't make any noise, it is always locked, keeps the Jeep tracking strait.

I have actually driven over (up and down) several passes now with the spool and swampers in both 2wd and 4wd (with a front locker) and I was actually impressed with how controlable the rear end was with the spool around the corners on the ice. Yes, I took it slow, but no slower than anyone else on the road and it was fine.

I would argue the major downside to a rear spool compared to a rear locker is the additional tire wear on the street.

Michael
There is just something about your feedback that i look forward to and respect!

Thanks man.:cheers:

Michael

X2 on the take it slow. The worst part about the locker is when it unloads, so I would guess a spool is more predictable in the compact stuff. An unloading locker will throw you, it has happened to me a couple times.

X2 on the take it slow. The worst part about the locker is when it unloads, so I would guess a spool is more predictable in the compact stuff. An unloading locker will throw you, it has happened to me a couple times.

Scratch that it's actually the locker reactivating after receiving a load, doesn't change the fact that that won't happen with a spool.

Back