• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start + symptoms

f-a-t-b-o-y

NAXJA Forum User
93 aw4 4.0 231

it will not start. battery good. will just crank and crank, won't fire.

previous Symptoms: throttle would "stick" if i pressed and released the skinny pedal quickly it would stay revved up. a couple times i could let my foot off while driving and it would continue to accelerate. pulled into a drivethru and it died. took forever to get to start, drove home and it died on me. could not keep it running. now it just won't start, it tried just a lil to turn over but nothing..

i pulled the TPS out of my parts jeep(same specs except it a 5 speed instead of automatic) started up in the morning and drove to work, throttle started acting up again and stranded me. any help is greatly appreciated.

also my exhaust has seen better days.

Last edited:
A no-start means that you're missing either spark or fuel. You need to narrow down what part of the equation is keeping your engine from firing.

#1. Check for spark. Remove a spark plug, keep it hooked up to the plug wire. Place the plug electrode near a good engine ground and have a buddy crank the engine. You're looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Orange means weak spark which may not be enough to fire the engine.

If you have spark, try spraying a little starting fluid into the intake. If it starts and runs momentarily, you have a FUEL delivery problem.

No starts are a "process of elimination". Test your way to a solution; don't throw parts at this.

Good luck and post back what you find!

A no-start means that you're missing either spark or fuel. You need to narrow down what part of the equation is keeping your engine from firing.

#1. Check for spark. Remove a spark plug, keep it hooked up to the plug wire. Place the plug electrode near a good engine ground and have a buddy crank the engine. You're looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Orange means weak spark which may not be enough to fire the engine.

If you have spark, try spraying a little starting fluid into the intake. If it starts and runs momentarily, you have a FUEL delivery problem.

No starts are a "process of elimination". Test your way to a solution; don't throw parts at this.

Good luck and post back what you find!

x2, and you need to diagnose the sticking throttle. Take a look at the throttle plate itself and see if it is loose. If it was a Toyota you should check the floor mats! LOL!

Back