• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires mix 225/235?

joelevelis

NAXJA Forum User
2000 Xj Sport / 4.0 HO / Auto / 4WD NP242 193K

OEM tires were 225 / 75 /15

I need two new front tires and was thinking of installing a pair of 235 / 75 /15 on either the front or rear and runing it with 235's on one end and the oem 225's on the other end untill untill I need to replace the 225's
I would not mix tire szes on an axle.
I could avoid using 4WD while the tires are mixed.
Any thoughts or comments.

Joe

should be fine so long as you avoid 4WD like you said - hell, depending on wear and tire pressure (i.e. the 235s are worn and lower pressure than some 225s that are new) you might end up with the same rolling diameter. Best to just avoid that issue by not putting it in 4WD till you have matched tires though. Also, it may look a little funny...

Fine as long as you stay in 2wd. Do NOT use 4wd. Either part time or full time. Part time will cause it to bind up, full time will cause excessive heat build up inside the viscous coupler if driven for any length of time.

Although as kastein said, if the 225 are brand new, and the 235's are very worn, it may not as big of an issue. Although the new 235's that I just put on mine are noticably taller than the old 225 sized tires.

If you have a pair of different size tires, I recommend removing the front D Shaft to reduce any problems that may occur.

You're only looking at about a half an inch difference in diameter, depending upon the amount of tread left. Shouldn't be a problem if you keep it out of 4WD.

Why not pick up two used 225s now and then replace all 4 with new 235s when you're ready?

x2 used tires are cheap and abundant!

Fine as long as you stay in 2wd. Do NOT use 4wd. Either part time or full time. Part time will cause it to bind up, full time will cause excessive heat build up inside the viscous coupler if driven for any length of time.

The NP 242 does not have a viscous coupler, it has an open differential between front/rear. If used in a full time it would most likely only be driving the end with the 225's, as it would be easier to turn these. Nonetheless, don't use any 4wd mode while using different sized tires. I'd put them in the back, as it would probably be less noticeable visably, even though the better tires are usually put on the steering axle.

Back