• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case removal question

rweaver138

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I did alot of searching around for some help with removing the transfer case out of an 01 sport, havent found much. But If I'm correct you remove the 6 bolts that hold it to the tranny, along with all the other misc. parts attached, (crossmember, lower tranny mount, linkage, wires) and it SHOULD come right out. Well I have all 6 bolts taken off and this thing isn't budging. I jacked up the tranny to take the pressure off the bolts or w/e and tried prying the tcase out with a couple crowbars. Me and my buddy couldnt get the damn thing to budge, I need to get this transfer case out ASAP and its really stalling the build on my 99. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Drain oil fom transfer case.
Remove the front and rear drive shafts.
Support the engine and tranny, then remove the x-member.
Remove the 4WD shifter, speedo cable, vacume connector, and vent tube, 1 maybe 2 electrical conectors (I forget), then unbolt the 6 nuts that hold it to the tranny and remove.

Drain oil fom transfer case.
Remove the front and rear drive shafts.
Support the engine and tranny, then remove the x-member.
Remove the 4WD shifter, speedo cable, vacume connector, and vent tube, 1 maybe 2 electrical conectors (I forget), then unbolt the 6 nuts that hold it to the tranny and remove.

Did all that, this is probably a stupid question but does the tcase have to be in nuetral?:doh:

Did all that, this is probably a stupid question but does the tcase have to be in nuetral?:doh:

Can't hurt to try.... I don't remember..... You might try some GENTLE nudging with a deadblow....

As a side note, you didn't say why you are taking it out. Did it blow up? If so, something internal could be hanging it up.......... Good luck.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking transmission in nuetral..... The instructions for installing an SYE say to put the t-case in 4W-lo. But that's so you can impact off the front drive yoke.

Last edited:
Im taking it out of a donor jeep to put it into my new jeep im building

Back