• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

internet

nitrospeed

NAXJA Forum User
anyone using Clear wire internet service? i would like to know how well it works for you. i am trying to compare it against dsl only i could go mobile. thanks

i have used Comcast to-go and loved it. the verizon wireless internet was decent at best..

Have yet to try clear, but i have heard rave reviews.

I have FIOS and love it.

I use my BB as a wireless connection point a lot when I travel. Some Places I get good speeds others not so good.

have you looked at the coverage map?
http://www.clear.com/index/coverage

Depending on the up/down of your DSL you might get an improvement.

I did notice this on the bottom of their site

*Actual performance may vary. CLEAR performance claim based on test performed on the CLEAR commercial network. Other carrier performance based on their advertised claims.

As with any wireless.. it depends on your location.

Get it, and let us know how it goes.

:soapbox:

Clearwire: Been there, done that, and have no "Internet Speeding" tickets to show for it.

I tried benchmarking the download and upload speeds on DSLReports.com as recent as this May, just prior to Verizon FIOS - FIOS rocks!

I was one of the first to get Clearwire in my area where I lived in Lynnwood, and those first few weeks, the service worked decent, speeds up to 1.5Mbps down, but only 120k up. Within a few weeks, once the Clearwire reps started getting some customers, the system slowed to a crawl and was getting on my nerves. It got to the point that upload speeds were faster than download speeds, and, you could certainly tell when the kids got home from school. AGONIZINGLY S L O W!!! My iPhone on 3G downloads about 3x as fast as Clearwire did, and about the same speed on Edge service, if that tells you anything. (I have no clue what the actual speeds are for AT&T 3G or Edge)

Hang on... Speedtest.net just posted :
1.19Mbps down on 3G
0.28Mbps upload on 3G

0.10Mbps down on Edge
0.01Mbps up on Edge

Sounds about right.

:nono: Clearwire - Just say NO.

Eric

My Friend Works for Intel who is behind clear, and say you should def wait a few years so they can get the system up to peak and work out the speed and dead areas~

get a hard wired ISP unless it is not a choice. Clear wire is a joke at the moment and a wireless technology will still never be as reliable as a wired technology.

Where's Rich :scottm:

Comcast has a 400GB/month bandwidth limit even though you pay for "unlimited" bandwidth.

They also throttle torrents.

I use Verizon DSL works great.

I made the mistake a year ago and got clearwire. It works when it wants to. I have had numerous so called "techs" out to my house and nothing has improved. DONT I MEAN DONT get clearwire. Customer service is horrible to. Comcast or FIOS

We had clear wire for 2 years and wouldn't do it again for anything. If you exceed your alloted bandwidth for the month they crank back your download speed. My wife uses netflix streaming movies and after a month of using that we were almost at dialup speeds. This is all in the fine print. Sucks.

We had clear wire for 2 years and wouldn't do it again for anything. If you exceed your alloted bandwidth for the month they crank back your download speed. My wife uses netflix streaming movies and after a month of using that we were almost at dialup speeds. This is all in the fine print. Sucks.

x2 forgot about that. what a ridiculous company.

Back