• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep TJ Rubi axles

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been planning on getting some Rubicon axles for the lockers Front/rear, plus 4.10 gearing (IIRC).

I am sure this has been asked before, and I only did an extremely quick search so I apologize if I am hasta . At work with very limited time before a meeting though and I am thinking about stopping by the local pull yard on the way home from work so I don't have much time to get info, maybe I should plan ahead more :banghead:

So I found the local pull yard(s) have quite a few TJ axles with 4.10 gear ratios. Did only the Rubi have the 4.10s in the 97/98 years, or did 4 cyl TJs still have the 4.10s? All the axles are in the $500 range, all with 4.10 gearing, no ABS.
Did the Rubicon come with ABS or not (or was it an option?) There are a couple TJ axles with abs locally available, and a decent number w/o.. so I want to make sure I am even looking at the correct axles.

To be honest I don't even know what to look for to determine if it is the TJ D44. Granted the housing will tell (Don't recall how to determine a D44 vs D30, but I will search for that later if I can find the time.) Without cracking the pumpkin, how would I determine if it is the Rubi axle? Where would I have to look for the air pressure line fitting for the lockers?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for not searching more.

Here are a few links that may help you. Also if your JY has Rubicon axles then its a hidden gold mine for Jeepers, I have never seen any Rubicons in a JY and I have searched JYs in SLC, UT Las Vegas, and in the bay area of Cali and never seen a Rubicon and rarely see TJs. I not saying its not possible I just have never seen any.
And as far as I know Rubicons and 4 cylinders came with the 4.11 gears
Here are the links:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stock-tj-specifications-452871/#post4118396

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stock-tj-specifications-452871/

Yeah, I was looking at axles from late 90s TJs, then remembered that the Rubicon didnt start until 03, which necessitated the :facepalm: hah. I did manage to find 1 rubi front for $2000...

and one for $250 from a 06 Rubicon that took front end damage.. Bent the passenger side axle tube a bit (not much apparently... seller says the internals may be OK but not sure). So how hard is it to replace an axle tube? That is my next question since 250$ is dirt cheap esp if everything else internal to the axle is OK (I am just afraid of the carrier/gears/locker.... if the axle shifted much it may have damaged the internals/locker)

My question originated because I want deeper gears, but don't want to pay for getting deeper gears in stock axles. Thus the Rubi axles (saves me the time of buying a locker as well). Now that I realized I had posted a dumb ass question, I am looking into all different axle combos (that dont cost $2000 per axle) because I want something better than what I have now. I found a XJ D44 for $350 (or $600 if I buy the 4.88s and locker with the axle, never installed, so thats why they can be bought separately). or I can pick up a 2000 8.8" for $175. Then I also found scout II axles for pretty cheap.

Now that I am not buying an axle tonight I have time to search a bit more I suppose. Still stopping by the JY just incase MAYBE one of the axles he has happens to be a D44 or something, though I highly doubt it.

$250 for a crappy TJ rubicon "D44" that is already bent is not worth it.

A TJ rubicon "D44" is a low pinion D44 center section, with everything else on the axle (exception of inner shafts) being from a D30.

Its pretty much equal in strength to a HPD30.

I'd stay away from scout axles, parts aren't the easiest to come by.
I'd go with the XJ D44. What locker?

The Dana 44 is the rear axle so that would cover me out back... I would still need something up front (where the D44 from the rubicon came in). The XJ D44 has 3.73 gears and a detroit truetrac as is (for $350). He has the dana 44 4.88 gears master install kit and a spool for an additional $250 (so it's not a locker, it's a spool... I was close :rolleyes:)

Yes, I am aware that the XJ D44 is a rear axle.

Tire size? Heavy foot? Type of gears and master install kit?

I think Rubicon axles are over rated and over priced. I would do the rear D44 and if you are set on doing a stronger axle up front you can get a Ford HP D44 and have it cut down or what I am going to do next summer is a G2 D44 for about $2375 to $2850 you get a front D44 with your choice of gears, locker with alloy axles.

You could always do a D44 and a Ford 9" a guy at work has the same set up on a TJ with 40" irocs.

And if the Rubi axle is bent at all its junk like Begster said, I would not even consider it.

Last edited:
I had a feeling you were aware the XJ D44 is rear axle, but I just said that because I am still in need of a front and the Rubi D44 is probably the easiest one to install since its essentially bolt on.

-Tire size for now is 33x12.50 (I think actual size is 32" or at least the are now down to there since they are getting old). I do plan on going to 36" sooner or later though which is why I am looking to throw 4.56, 4.88, or 5.xx gears in there now.. get some grunt around town. For now I have a car as a DD for my long haul highway driving; would only be taking the XJ on highway or longer back road drives if I need it to get me to work in the winter should we get hammered with a storm, so the deep gears with 33s should be bearable.
-Heavy foot? Sometimes I suppose but who doesnt :D? The 8.25 w/ 3.07s held up to my driving pretty well for the year or 2 that the XJ was my DD with the 33s, and DD with 30s for a year or 2 before the 33s.
-Type of gears? No clue, I gave you all the information I have available until I call/email for more info.

Edit: Saw the other post that was just put up. I was thinking the 9" may be a good option I just didn't want full width and would rather avoid cutting it down becasue I am lazy. :laugh: I did look at this quite a bit though: http://www.discountjeepparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/2880_6342_6345_6346/products_id/32748 Seems like it might already be shortened, a number of the other axles on the same page were.. Gotta contact them about it to be sure though.
As for the HP44 front, also thought about that, but I am trying to gauge how much work it would be to get one of those together. It would definately be the better option so I figure I should go that way. Maybe I will contact my local Jeep club and see if one of the guys who has a shop could do the cutting for me. Don't want to fack it up by cutting something wrong myself.

Last edited:
What kind of junkyard charges those kinds of prices? Or is this a yard where they pull the parts for you? My local you-pull-it sells axles for a hundred bucks flat, though most of their stock is XJs with d30s and 8.25s as can be expected, I think there are maybe two or three Wranglers total and they're pretty tweaked up and gutted.

What kind of junkyard charges those kinds of prices? Or is this a yard where they pull the parts for you? My local you-pull-it sells axles for a hundred bucks flat, though most of their stock is XJs with d30s and 8.25s as can be expected, I think there are maybe two or three Wranglers total and they're pretty tweaked up and gutted.

The one with those prices pulls for you, 100%. They wont let you in the yard. The other junk yard can go either way. You pull it, it's pretty cheap I think (havent pulled an axle yet so idk the actual prices, I think I got my 8.25 pulled for around 175-200. The exploder 8.8 was pre-pulled, and that was listed at 175. I had the 8.25 pulled for me becaue it was middle of winter and snowy so I didn't feel like doing it myself. The extra 75$ was worth saving myself the time/effort in the mud/snow of jacking up the vehicle and pulling one myself

Last edited:
probably, but it would be nice. lol. If I shortened a 9" I would have to buy shafts and internals anyway so it would get expensive either way.. Unless I found a 9" that was already loaded with deep gears and a locker.. then just shorter shafts would be needed.

Don't waste your money on a TJ rubicon D44. Not worth it if you are going to 36's.

Good to know, wont do.

Now I just gotta find something good to throw under there. So whose selling a shortened 9"/D44 combo (or comparable) in the MA area that is looking for a fellow Jeeper to sell it to cheap? :D

Looks like I got some shopping to do. Thanks for the advice.

So I the HP Ford D44 front (shortened) would be a good axle... any words from the wise on a D60 front? Don't have any details other than that it is shortened to Jeep width... Going to call this evening. For some reason I feel like I heard the D60 is almost too large to be worth while.. unless it is shaved. Feel free to ignore me, I should really just research again. I had axles all planned out a while back, then I lost my plans (it was using a Ford D44/9" combo, 4.88 gearing, OX lockers, and some other stuff..) I figured I would ask about taking the easy way out with the Jeep D44 which I can see is clearly not a good plan. I just gotta research the D60 more now I suppose.

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/1387121522.html

Back