• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New or Used

Try to place yourself in the situation of having to replace it when it goes out. You're traveling down the road, it just rained, your XJ dies. You coast to the side, get out 87 feet of extensions for your 3/8 drive ratchet, lay down on your back in the mud and proceed with removing the old one. You get greasy and dirty from wedging your arm up to 11 o'clock on the tranny to get the new one to stay there will you wiggle a bolt in place. You finally get out from under the XJ, go to start it, and nothing.

Now I ask you this. Was saving $20 or 30 worth it?

:spin1:

Hope that helps! :cheers:

I just replaced the crank sensor yesterday with new one from Pep Boys ($33). After an hour laying on my back with four different ratchet extensions, an eccentric, and four bloody knuckles, there is no way I would ever chance having to change this thing more often than absolutely necessary. Do it once, do it right, buy a new part.

When it comes to parts you have to rely on for the Jeep to run, Alternators, Sensors, Gas Pump, Water Pump, etc..... buy new.....

not only buy new, buy good quality new... don't go with the crap cheap ones.

I know a few people have actually gotten so tired of this that they cut an access port in their tranny tunnel so they can use a ratchet and one or two extension bars to do their CPS, anyone know exactly where to cut if I want to do this at some point? Even better, anyone have pictures of it?

my theory on new v. used parts.

i will only swap in used parts if:
*it is not electronic. i will only use used electronics IF it's EASY to replace, non essential and FREE
*it is not a part of the brake system
*it is a difficult to find part
*it is substantially more expensive to buy new
*new would cost over $100.00 more then used.

sure, there are exceptions for known good trannys, known good engines and axles, but for the most part i stick to this list.

the only times i have really scrapped the entire list are times i was broke and my car crapped out. desperation and need for my daily driver were priority over doing a job multiple times.

Back