• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nitro gear

Art101

NAXJA Forum User
Well I am ready to order my 4.88s here pretty soon, but I thought I'd ask if any of you have run the nitro gear brand gears. I have a chrysler 8.25 out back on my 01 xj, and nitro is the only company that sells 4.88s for that axle. Have you all had problems with nitro at all? Does anyone know where I could get a dana 30/ c8.25 4.88 combo package to save money? Thanks for your help guys.

I installed the 4.88's in the axle I'm building and the install went fine. The axle is not under the Jeep yet so I can't say about how they are going to last. As for the front, I went with Randy's Ring and Pinion Yukons with the install kit.

Well I am ready to order my 4.88s here pretty soon, but I thought I'd ask if any of you have run the nitro gear brand gears. I have a chrysler 8.25 out back on my 01 xj, and nitro is the only company that sells 4.88s for that axle. Have you all had problems with nitro at all? Does anyone know where I could get a dana 30/ c8.25 4.88 combo package to save money? Thanks for your help guys.

I'm in the same boat. Let me know if you find anything good. Hoping to get mine done in the within the next three weeks on my 00XJ.

I have the Nitro 4.88 gears in my 8.25.

My installer had to grind one of the teeth on the ring gear down, as well as a small portion off of the cross shaft to get the cross shaft in. While this is normal with thick gears and the 8.25, he had to actually cut just a little into the pattern of the ring gear. Before we went through with this, I called Nitro directly and asked if they had experience with this. Apparently, they know about it and said it was the same procedure they follow when installing this particular gear set.

You can see in this image, right above the cross shaft, the tooth that has been modified.

DSC_1854csmall35.jpg

So far, I have not had any issues. I've only put about 1000-2000 miles on them, if that. The gears are a bit noisy on the road. However, after talking to various people, this is to be expected with deep 8.25 gears. Also, the tooth that has been grinded down will also cause a rhythmic noise while driving at certain speeds.

When I ordered mine, I only ordered the one set, along with an install kit and my ARB. The best deal I was able to find, was from east coast gear supply.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-160580-chrysler-8-25-4-88.html

If you have any other questions, please do ask.

Scott

are the gears audible above tire noise? My BFG MTs make enough noise I don't even notice the vibration from the driveshaft angle being all wrong anymore (haven't gotten around to installing my SYE, maybe this weekend...) - and I can't hear my fuel pump anymore over 40mph.

are the gears audible above tire noise? My BFG MTs make enough noise I don't even notice the vibration from the driveshaft angle being all wrong anymore (haven't gotten around to installing my SYE, maybe this weekend...) - and I can't hear my fuel pump anymore over 40mph.

Yes. I have 35" Baja Claw Radials. 0-40 isn't too bad. As soon as I get beyond 40mph, and up to freeway speeds... The tires start to hum and so does the rear end. It's not ear deafening, but noticeable.

My driveshaft does not vibrate. All my angles are within spec, and I have what you would consider an SYE, as well as a CV Driveshaft.

Be careful, after time, the vibrations caused by the severe angles of running a lift will cause parts to fail more quickly than normal. Speaking from experience here. :dunce: Noticing you're running 2" from your signature, you probably don't have as bad as angles as I did, when I had my 6.5" lift.

Scott

yeah, I'm somewhere between 2 and 3 inches I think... angle's only a couple degrees off as I recall. I keep putting the SYE off because I haven't decided if I'm lifting a little more (probably shackles+spacers in front), trimming my fenders, or both, and don't want to end up buying yet another set of shims, so I'm just going to do it all at once as soon as I have my lift finalized.

FWIW. I had 488 nitro's in my 44a on my ZJ and they were noisy from 40 mph up when under power. The installer had it apart 5 times and couldn't get them to quiet down. The wear on the gears was perfect. I recently replaced the 44a with an 8.8 and installed new nitro 488's. They are quiet at any speed. I guess you won't know until you hit the road.

Anyone got an update on how they are lasting? I just ordered a set and ma getting them put in the D60's now. Is this a new brand or one that has been around that changed names?

one season on mine with 36 inch tsl radials and no issues....can't tell if the tires growl or the gears......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i love that sound

I had a set of Nitro 4.56's installed recently. The gear noise on the highway is definitely more than stock, but I've never ridden in another XJ with 4.56's, so I don't know if they all have a little noise or if it is the Nitro brand gears.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all installers are created equal. In fact more often than not, gear noise is generally a setup issue. All we do is diffs, and rarely run into a noisy gear set. That said, some gears are noisier than others. Additionally when you get up into the lower ratios like 4.56 & 4.88, the pinion is spinning much faster and is more likely to be audible. We use the nitro gears on 90% of our installs and have no issues. but, thats all we do is diffs.

Ran Mountain City with the new gears. Seem to hold up great. I rode all day without any gear issues. Only time will tell.

Back