• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear drive shaft swap?

groovyjeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 jeep cherokee, with a 231 transfer case. I have a small lift like an inch of two. Nothing fancy. Once it was lifted I began having length issues with my rear drive shaft. I wanted to know if theres any longer driveshafts I can junkyard hunt for that will be a direct bolt in swap? I don't like going the cheap route but I'm pretty freakin broke right now.
thanks for your time.

your driveshaft should be good with 2 inches of lift. I'm running 5inches of lift with stock driveshaft, I do have alot of vibration but ive been driving it daily for a year and no serious damage yet,,

X2 ,its not a length issue!

agreed, only way it could be a length issue is maybe you have a manual rear driveshaft in an automatic XJ or something? I can't see any other way it'd be too short.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, that'd make it too long, nevermind, was thinking front driveshafts used for hack-n-tap SYE

A longer drive shaft will do you no good with a slip yoke setup. If you extended it and compressed the rear, you run the risk of breaking your transfer case when the yoke runs out of travel on the output shaft before you hit the bumpstops. If you are getting vibes look into a SYE or at least a Transfer Case Drop.

Ok soo I should be fine with it then. Mainly it just seems the like slip yoke isnt in the transfercase far enough then it should be since I've lifted it. Plus I've already gone though one transfercase, damn thing cracked in half going down the highway and thought maybe that had something to do with it. Thanks to everyone who has been responding.

Re: rear drive shaft swap? so this is the whole story

Alright well this is what happenend. A few months ago I installed rancho coil springs, shocks and 2 inch blocks on my 90 xj. which rasied it a inch or two. Anyways later on down I had to put a transmission in it and then just in August I was moving cross country and my transfer case split in two doing 70mph in Iowa. So I just put in a transfer case out of a 87 last month and now it seems to be getting bad vibes. My front drive shaft was broken in half after that and the rear driveshaft seems fine, however the u joints do need to be replaced on it but i did noticed since i rasied it, the slip yoke has traveled out a bit of the back of the transfer case and when I installed it back in I realized that it doesnt go in to the transfer case very far. So what do you guys think. Should I be fine after I do the u joints or?

thanks for all of your time

i had a simular problem.
my axle actually moved back off the perches because my centering pins broke.
this caused a few problems, including the rear shaft pulling out of the t-case.

Back