• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New engine swap

Grover728

NAXJA Forum User
I am embarrassed that I am having problems with an engine swap. I recieved a long block from ATK for my 99 cherokee automatic with a cracked head and a lot of miles. Swapped accessories. Started the motor and it has a loud ticking/air piston noise. Pulled the valve cover and everything looks good. Checked the distributor position multiple times....one tooth forward and one tooth back. Checked the headder/intake gasket...What else can I check before I pull the motor out?

I have a 00 with the coil pack etc.... It suffered the cracked head, I bought it soon cheap it was a crime, 1200 bucks later (hjad 63k) I put a 70k motor in. At start up it will kind of knock/ping can hear inside, underside, etc.... if you shut it off and start it right back up it doesnt do it. I can hear it sometimes when idling. It's not lifter tick cause they all do it. this sounds like prob... the same problem. I am going to try this weekend half a bottle of seafoam, let it idle drain and fill with 5.5 quarts of 10w40 and .5 quarts of syntec 5-20 and see if it cleans it up. was this engine re-built or from a yard?

I searched ticking and checked the flexplate and anything else that popped up....I just wish I could tell if I need to pull the motor apart and know what I was looking for other than wear marks..
Did I break it already??

Last edited:
1. Call ATK and discuss this with their tech support. It might be something under warranty and you want them in on it from the get-go.

Back