• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming Flares on Seam?

jeepjon

NAXJA Forum User
I just upgraded from 32" to 33" tires, and, like a lit of people have done in the past, I'm rubbing a little bit. I'm planning on trimming the obvious places where it rubs - I don't mind trimming at all.

My question is this. My brother mentioned to me that he has seen some XJ's where they trim right on the line of the flare. The flare comes out from the car and then angles straight down. Has anyone ever heard of trimming on this seam and keeping the stock flares? If so, I'd love to hear what you think or even see some pics.

Thanks!

Trimming in the front above the line would require redrilling holes for the flares. Many have done it. In Illinois I catch no grief for no flares so I run without them. The rear is different. Ther is a welded pinch seam there and you can separate the wheel wells from the rear quarter panel if you cut too high. There are a couple good write-ups at Jeepin.Com as well as here if you search for them.

Not sure there's a real need to trim the actual width of the flare. I just re-installed my flares and trimmed them up so they don't cover as much of the wheel well from front to back. They are still the same width though. Granted I only have 31's but I've seen others with their fenders trimmed as much as me and run the same setup with the flare and go with 35's. I'd be worried about trimming where you are thinking and having it turn out nice. It could be done but it would be a huge PITA.

Here's mine:
309ioom.jpg

Here's a rig that I use for reference b/c of how incredibly clean and well thought out it is. (Owner must be SUPER anal.) :D
2hyuwi1.jpg

-river

Back