• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch security?

adamusmc2002

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, had a question i wanted to pose to the masses. I've got a winch bumper and a tabor 9k in the mail, and was curious how other people go about securing their winch to the bumper, so a shysty offroad theif can't come along and unbolt it and run off. The obvious easiest way would be to weld a bolt or two, but then you can't take it off, at least not without a lot more trouble. Anyway, just wanted to put this out there and see what you guys had for suggestions. Thanks

I rigged mine so I can easily remove it after a wheelin' event. If your rig is a DD then why carry the extra weight? If it's not a DD and you keep it outside, get a short cable with a cable lock.

Most people I have seen weld a bolt or two. ;) It's not that hard to take the dremel and cut one off.

red locktight would discourage most people with handtools. Only have to do one.

cal said:
Most people I have seen weld a bolt or two. ;) It's not that hard to take the dremel and cut one off.
Would the heat from welding be an issue with bolt strength? I'd rather weld a piece of metal over the bolt so you cant get a wrench on it, and it doesnt affect the bolt strength.

I had some tubes welded on the front bumper in a way that would keep the winch from being pulled off without pulling the bumper. You can kind of see what was done here:
Jeep001Small.jpg

You don't need to run a bead all the way around the bolt head, just tack it. Sure, it makes it more difficult to remove, but how often do you remove it?

Back