• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why do I have an 8.8 LS?

JoeyClements

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 96 XJ that the prior owner installed a Ford 8.8 rear end. So what I see and read is that it is a LS but will not lock totally. So why go to all of that trouble instead of putting in a "locker"? It is stock in the front end and I want to make it the best I can of course not the most costly. So is there an upgrade to the 8.8 that makes it better that a stock LS? TrueTrac in the front is what the local Expert tells me. So tell me oh great minds, what should be done in the back end and matching the front. I want a decent truck that will work in most conditions of mud and slight rock. I don't need a competition truck but I want to go when I need to go. This is more of a search and rescue truck rather than weekend mudder. Thanks again for all of the help as I am new to this forum and you guys have been great in helping.
Joey

Last edited:
You probably have an 8.8 because they came stock in some cherokees with the offroad package. If your looking for a search and rescue kind of truck then a LS would actually be great. I have a 99 cherokee with the 8.8 and I wheel it pretty hard every so often and I've never had any problems. I've wheeled with guys that have a locker and that have open and Ive kept up perfect with the locker on steep loose rock trails. Needless to say the guy with open diffs was left in the dust:moon:

You probably have an 8.8 because they came stock in some cherokees with the offroad package. If your looking for a search and rescue kind of truck then a LS would actually be great. I have a 99 cherokee with the 8.8 and I wheel it pretty hard every so often and I've never had any problems. I've wheeled with guys that have a locker and that have open and Ive kept up perfect with the locker on steep loose rock trails. Needless to say the guy with open diffs was left in the dust:moon:

Facepalm....

8.8's never came stock in any XJ, let alone was there ever an "offroad package" for an XJ. But many 8.8's DID come stock with a LS diff, which is probably why the OP has it.

Also, there is no way a LS is comparable with full lockers.

What do you have in the front end? The 8.8 in the rear is from a Ford and for sure is not stock. It has the ABS connector on the top. I guess I really just don't understand LS as I have watched some Eaton videos on YouTube and they show the LS not pulling up the hill. I guess I will have to take it out and play to know the in and out. Thanks for the info! Joey.

Never once did a Jeep come with a FORD 8.8 factory......it may have come with a CORPORATE 8.25.....coming from the guy with one post.

Retards leading retards.

Geez.

OP I have no idea about your Ford 8.8 best of luck with that. I didn't mean to call you a retard

Retard, now that is funny. Thanks for the vote on my mind condition! I am learning but I am not sure that a LS actually sends power to the traction wheel. I have to plan for the front end too and TrueTrac seems to be the best price. Thoughts?

My 8.8 ls made a difference on my xj, I complemented it with a locker up front and havent needed anymore (yet,haha)

No I didnt mean to call you a retard OP, just Mr. "I have one post and think I can give advice".

I swear, some people.

Facepalm....

8.8's never came stock in any XJ, let alone was there ever an "offroad package" for an XJ. But many 8.8's DID come stock with a LS diff, which is probably why the OP has it.

Also, there is no way a LS is comparable with full lockers.

Actually they did, and yes cherokees did come with an offroad package, its called the up country package and it includes: skid plate on steering arms, skid plate on transfer case, skid plate on gas tank, stock 1" lift, 3.73 gears, and the 8.25 with LS. How do I know this?? because I have one sitting in my driveway that I bought brand new in 1999 from the dealership.

Sorry about the 8.8 claim though, I didnt read it well enough i guess:worship:

8.8>8.25

Jeeps never came with them...Fords did.....thats why they are FORD 8.8s.

Read, then reply.

You need to start posting on the random picture thread so your post count at least LOOKS like you've been giving out helpful information.

Welcome to NAXJA.

Flame on...

post-3012-1185415263.gif

shoe size:roflmao:

Wow, I think you could eff up a wet dream

Next time I need a size 8.8 shoe I know whose foot to look for.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Back