• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix runs like absolute crap when cold

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
My '89 XJ runs like poo when it's on the first start of the day. No matter if it's hot outside or cold, it runs like crap. Here's a detailed explanation:

When I start it, it takes a normal cranking time for a RENIX, maybe a tad longer, that's not the issue. Once running, it'll idle consistantly, but any touch to the throttle leaves a slightly big hesitation before the engine takes off. When I let the clutch out and give it some gas, the engine bogs down and bucks quite a bit before it gets above ~1500 RPM give or take. It will always stall at the first stop sign. Always, unless I warm it up a bit.

I just replaced the intake/exhaust manifold gasket (exhaust was cracked, so I welded that up) and it did the exact same thing before, and after. Only thing is now it starts up a little easier. I noticed that when I floor it (say going up a hill) my defrosts turn on even with the selector on OFF. I've already made my vacuum system as simple as can be.. Could it be a bad vacuum bottle?

TPS was replaced and is at about .82 volts. IAC was replaced and is all cleaned/oiled up.

What are things to look for? Vacuum leak? CTS? Fuel injectors?

Also another thing I noticed is that when I first started it up after replacing the exhaust gasket, I accidently left off the MAP vacuum line, and it would idle really rough like it was cammed. However, every time I went to restart it, it would start up instantly, like a 91+ XJ. It would also have amazing throttle response, absolutely no hesitation. But once I hooked the MAP back up, it was the same old story. Long crank time (normal) and shitty throttle response.

I replaced the MAP with a JY one and it has the same issue.. So either that's not the issue, or both are bad. I don't know, I'm kinda torn between trying to figure it out, and just living with a grumpy cold hating motor. Like it's owner :spin1:

First place I'd start is where the injector harness runs down the front of the motor. If it is cooking on the exhaust it may be shorting out your O2 sensor heater wire or worse.
When I unplug my MAP vacuum it seems to default way rich.

any holes in your exhaust? at all? I have the same issue but its because my down pipe is wide open and its causing the o2 sensor to read lean, so it over compensates with more fuel. causes the exact same problem at idle. takes awhile to start, then it idles fine but any touch of the gas makes it pause and then rev up.

check the coolant temp sensor

Back