• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering column looseness

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I dunno what to call this but my steering column isn't tight. Like when I shut the door, it shimmies kinda bad. It rattles and shakes going over bumps. The dash and all that is perfectly still while the steering column and wheel is shimmying. I'm pretty sure it's not related to any of the steering components. It seems like something in the steering column itself. Is there something I can check that would cause this kind of problem? I know the jeep was in a wreck before so it could be related. I have a 2001.

Sounds like it needs to be replaced. There are some parts (usually) available for them, but a salvage yard swap would be the easiest.

The early XJs used GM columns, but I think yours is probably a Chrysler. Someone posted on here about using a mini-van column as a replacement.

Call me stupid, but you did check the braces to make sure they are tight correct?

Before I go ahead and replace anything, I want to figure out what could be causing it. Maybe it's a simple fix like a loose bolt or something. I just don't know the layout of the steering columns.

yaaa, its held in place by like 3 braces so it doesn't have that shimmy...I have a '92 and if I'm not mistaken it has to nuts that zip up onto a studs, and two small alluminum braces that go to the body...one to the firewall, and one near the floor by the a-pillar...I wish I could tell you where to look on the '01 but I'm new to XJ's so all I know is what I got...Just look underneath the dash while you shimmy it, it should be really simple to spot the loose bolts or nuts

yaaa, its held in place by like 3 braces so it doesn't have that shimmy...I have a '92 and if I'm not mistaken it has to nuts that zip up onto a studs, and two small alluminum braces that go to the body...one to the firewall, and one near the floor by the a-pillar...I wish I could tell you where to look on the '01 but I'm new to XJ's so all I know is what I got...Just look underneath the dash while you shimmy it, it should be really simple to spot the loose bolts or nuts

I just tore apart the dash in the dark. There's a plastic cover and then a metal cover under the dash. I removed both. It's hard to see exactly what I'm looking for but I can feel the aluminum steering column "C-frame" or whatever it is shake as I hit the steering wheel. I feel a slight clunk as I push it up and down (steering wheel). I just don't know what's loose cuz it's too dark right now.

I was obsessed with this problem and I couldn't resist but to go back out there with a couple flashlights and dig in. According to my FSM, there are 4 nuts holding the steering column on. Two straight ahead at the base and two oh top. The two at the base of the column were tight. The two uppers were a little loose, not finger loose, but loose enough that. I had to crank em down a little bit to get em tight. I'm not sure if slightly loose nuts were the cause but I'll find out tomorrow on the way to work.

I also saw empty holes on the steering column and what looks to be marks of a bolt head or nut. It seemed like there was a brace there previously but according to my fsm, the non-tilt steering columns had braces there but mine's a tilt steering.

ya, just check it tomorrow. and if that does not fix it look at it in the day light carefully, maybe get someone else to shake it while you look. If that doesn't fix it we will drop back 10 and punt.

Back