• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get a die or chaser locally?

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I need to either buy or borrow a die or thread chaser, I kinda hammered on a tie rod a little too much and just barely screwed up the first thread. I don't want to pay a bunch of money for a die I'll only use once and I don't need to buy another tie rod. I don't know where to go to buy something like this in the SD area. Thanks.

Try Kragen or auto zone, I have been able to borrow different tools from them and they are free to use. You have to leave a deposit for the cost of the tool, but when you return it they give you back your deposit.

Calling in from the Midwest..... the better stocked Ace hardware shops have thread chaser files on the shelf here. Or, find the oldest hardware in the area.

any NAPA or decent auto parts store should have a thread chaser in stock, but it sounds like you just musroomed the tip of the threads and the nut wont go back on? just file the edges down a bit, it should be fine.

next time take the nut off, put it back on upside down 3 or 4 turns, and hit the nut, not the stud ;)

Or get an SAE8/ISO12.9 nut, thread it until it's flush with the end of the stud, then back it off about one turn. Hammer on the nut instead of the stud.

Or - best! - get one of those "C"-shaped TRE removers. The ramscrew presses on the stud, the jaws go behind the mating part, and you don't need to beat on the thing...

Coat the taper with never-seez before you put it back together, makes it easier.

You can check to see if you have a Fastenal close to you, or check at Sears - either should have a 60* thread chasing file (essential anyhow) and Sears might or Fastenal should have fixed-pitch chasing files - they're square-stock files with (usually) eight thread pitches on each stick. SAE will have one or two commonly available, and ISO usually needs just one stick for the common stuff.

Yeah I learned to put the nut on upside down and love tap it a little too late. Basically I can screw the castle on a little bit and keep tightening but I ended up screwing up the castle. If I have to I'll hit up the junkyard but it is seriously just the very first thread.
When I was in MI I used to live down the street from an old school tool shop called Mr. O'Tools, they had like every die and chaser I could imagine, and really great prices. I can't find any Ma and Pa shops like that down here in SD.

Yeah I learned to put the nut on upside down and love tap it a little too late. Basically I can screw the castle on a little bit and keep tightening but I ended up screwing up the castle.
that is because the stud is hardened steel and the castle is not, to keep you from ruining the TRE by overtightening it :) have you tried filing it down just to knock the edge off it?

that'll do it. i had a sliver of steel on the threads when i put my ZJ steering in, went through 4 nuts before i figured it out, it kept stripping them before it pulled the TRE into the pitman arm. had i not been drinking i might have stopped after i ruined the first one and looked at the threads to see what the problem was :D

Yeah I tried filing it down and ran a different castle through, messed that one up too. Guess I'll just replace it. It was a pain even getting the ZJ tie rod off because the particular ZJ I got had like a bunch of skid plates on it and of course I forgot to bring an extension to take them off so I jumped around from ZJ to ZJ taking little bits and pieces off each one.

Cody,

What size are you looking for? Tap or die? I might have something that will work.

OR...You can try K Surplus...National City. They have a great selection and great prices.

I'm looking for a die, the TRE width is 1/2" but I don't know the exact pitch, chances are I'll take the nut to Home Depot to figure out more. I just have to cut the first 1 or two threads. I tried getting a die from my local Napa but I really didn't get much info from the guy, I'm not a fan of that Napa anyway, it's real small and takes forever to get anything done.

I'm looking for a die, the TRE width is 1/2" but I don't know the exact pitch, chances are I'll take the nut to Home Depot to figure out more. I just have to cut the first 1 or two threads. I tried getting a die from my local Napa but I really didn't get much info from the guy, I'm not a fan of that Napa anyway, it's real small and takes forever to get anything done.

I want to recall that being a fine thread, so 1/2"-20UNF should do it.

I want to recall that being a fine thread, so 1/2"-20UNF should do it.
Probably, it looks like fine thread. Like I said, I just need to cut a couple threads, should only take a few seconds. Otherwise I'll grab another TRE this weekend if I find a ZJ there. I already need more castle nuts.

I have 1/2-13 and 1/2-20 die's we can chase the threads with. Come on out to El Cajon and we can take care of it.

Steve

Back