• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time to park it.

Blue 97 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I searched first.
Storing my brothers XJ for a year any thoughts? Its a 96, 4.0, 2wd, auto, and will be stored outside in a drive way. I have heard a lot of stuff and will do some thing but what am i forgetting?
Things to do:
full tank of gas With fuel stabilizer in it.
remove battery
check antifreeze
do not apply the hand break
seal intake and exhaust
thinking of putting it on blocks to get some pressure off, but not letting the suspension fully hang
baking soda to absorb moisture?
change oil/oil filter?

What am I missing? all thoughts appreciated, thank you.

change oil and filter
change coolant (corrosion inhibitors only last a couple of years)
stabil added to full tank of gas
bump tire pressure to +2 psi over spec
disconnect negative battery, or man up the $30 for a battery tender
rubberband baggies over exhaust/intake/other places where mice and birds will nest
baking soda will work so will silicon desicant packs

Strategically put rodent poison around. Cover the tires, cardboard or HF vinyl.

If it was mine, I would want you to start it every two weeks and run the heater then the a/c, and cycle the transmission after letting it fully warm up, say about 30 minutes.

I'd jack it up by the axles if you can, to keep the tires from getting flat spots. Otherwise, I think it's about covered. Moisture will probably kill the front rotors, but covering the tires should help some.

If you can cover the whole vehicle, it would be nice, and save on cleanup later.

Even with cars that I don't drive in the winter and remove insurance from, I wait for a good day, warm it up, and drive it around the block to keep the seals lubed up, rotate the tires, and charge up the battery. I try to do it at least once a month. If possible, I think that is better than letting it sit for a year.

Even with cars that I don't drive in the winter and remove insurance from, I wait for a good day, warm it up, and drive it around the block to keep the seals lubed up, rotate the tires, and charge up the battery. I try to do it at least once a month. If possible, I think that is better than letting it sit for a year.

x2. Take it to the store once or twice a month, disconnect the battery in between and keep the gas tank topped off.

Best thing you can do since you will have access to it.

Joe , forgot to mention some lsd can bind up if not used, my girl used to make very expensive noises doing slow turn, changed oil 2wice now and all sorted, the Mopar oil very exp in nz$,,, thnx for your feedback,,john

Get one of those plastic car "bubbles" pull it inside, jack it up, place stands under the axles with the tires high enough so they arent touching, remove neg batt cable. it should be good.

Unless it has bias-ply tires, you won't get flat spots. After you fill the tank with gas and add the stabilizer, drive it 10 or 15 miles to get the fuel/stabilizer mixture into the fuel system.

But as other said, it's best if you can drive it somewhere every couple of weeks. If you do, drive it enough that it gets up to temperature. That will get all the moisture out of the engine and exhaust.

Back