• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

double carden joint + stock DS and yoke

1998xjg

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to add a double cardent joint to a stock rear drive shaft and stock yoke? also what happens if you put a front drive shaft on a stock yoke? I cant seem to find the right u-bolt yoke for my sye.

It's not possible - you need a CV-style yoke for the transfer case end. It's not going to line up well and will be unreliable at best, outright dangerous at worst. You want a 3103-27CV yoke or equivalent - see http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm for installation procedure.

PS: it's "cardan" not "cardent" ;) no big deal, I just see this term misspelled in an amazing number of ways and it makes it hard for people to search.

EDIT: the differential pinion yoke should be fine. You can use the stock one on that end.

I am doing this mod to mine very shortly, I have replaced the uni's in the double cardan joint I just need to order the yoke for Tom Woods and then wait for it to be sent half way around the world....

It's not possible - you need a CV-style yoke for the transfer case end. It's not going to line up well and will be unreliable at best, outright dangerous at worst. You want a 3103-27CV yoke or equivalent - see http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm for installation procedure.
Incorrect again! Would I want to do it-no,can you do it -yes
CV_Rev_Slip_575x50.jpg

I'm pretty sure that qualifies as one of those "why the hell would you do that" type things... also, "again"? I know I'm wrong once in a while, but I don't recall the last time you proved me wrong, and you seem to get off to proving everyone wrong so... where's the last time? PM if you want, just to avoid derailing this thread.

Is it possible to add a double cardent joint to a stock rear drive shaft and stock yoke? also what happens if you put a front drive shaft on a stock yoke? I cant seem to find the right u-bolt yoke for my sye.

Search the Forum or use Google. Hack and Tap (H&T) Slip Yoke Eliminators (SYE's) can use a stock front XJ double cardan drive shaft. This would save you money by not having a drive shaft custom built. With a H&T the same stock drive shaft is used both front and rear, and you only have to carry one spare drive shaft. Any drive shaft can be shorten or lengthened and rebalanced for about $ 75.

Rubicon Express and Iron Rock Off Road are some of the companies that offer Hack and Tap ( H&T) Slip Yoke Eliminators

Last edited:
Back