• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE = No Speedo?

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, this should be a quick question to answer. I finished installing my AA SYE saturday. This morning I went in to Fleet Pride to get a new rear shaft fabbed up. They are about 2 miles away from where I live, so I through it in 4wd and just drove fwd over.

On my drive, I noticed that the speedo wasn't working anymore. Would not having a rear DS have anything to do with it? Im thinking not. Any suggestions on what to try?

oh, it is a 97' XJ. NP231 T-case and an AX15 trans

Thats what I figured. Is there a specific alignment that the gears need to mesh? Or a special technique?

Yes,you have to index the speedo gear based on its tooth count.

Thanks for the link! that actually helped quite a bit. Going to go try reseating the gear and check the connection

Well I just tried reseating everything, still no go. Im also getting a check engine light. Any other suggestions?

all looks good to me

did you install the part on the new SYE shaft that the speedo gear meshes to??? It's the blue thing in this pic

file_17_1.jpg

yes, yes I did.

I had the same problem with mine when I did my SYE. I had to re-align 4 different times before I got it right and until I had it "snapped" into place correctly my check engine light had also come on due to no gauges working. Just keep trying and eventually it will go into place and work properly. Good luck!

Maybe try re-aligning it with the Tcase in neutral and the rear tires off the ground so that you can spin the rear output shaft with your hand to get things to mesh??

Maybe try re-aligning it with the Tcase in neutral and the rear tires off the ground so that you can spin the rear output shaft with your hand to get things to mesh??

that might work, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Nope, remember it's just threaded effectively... if you flip a screw around the threads still turn the same direction. Visualize it and it makes more sense I swear

mine is doing the same thing. is there a possiblity that you can install the blue gear the wrong way and have the sensor spin the wrong way?
Depending on what kit you purchased you can install the gear backwards(it will spin the same way),but may not be in the correct spot to engage.Also depending on the kit,c-clips are needed to hold the gear in position.

OP, you have to re-clock the speedo on the T-case. There are different ways you can put it in (I forgot why) but all you have to do is take out that bolt, pull the speedo up and turn it (re-clock) to a different position and put it back on.

Same thing happened to me.

OP, you have to re-clock the speedo on the T-case. There are different ways you can put it in (I forgot why) but all you have to do is take out that bolt, pull the speedo up and turn it (re-clock) to a different position and put it back on.

Same thing happened to me.

Yup, I've tried that several times. It is definitely all the way in. However, after all of the reseating attempts the o-ring finally tore. SO until I get a replacement, Im a bit SOL.

Back