• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Manifold Bolt Broken?w/pics

my2monkeys

NAXJA Member
This stud has been missing for years now ,but lately I'm hearing ticking until it warms up. The ex-man. is slipping down due to missing stud. I'm not sure if stud is broken or just backed out and fell off. Can I loosen bolts and try to pry ex-man back up and then tighten bolts back up?

Well, on my 98 TJ, there are 2 guide pins in the head to hold the exhaust in its position. I imagine its the same for the XJ, but don't quote me.

I've never done the manifold myself, so I don't know the exact set up. But what I've seen on writeups and FSM there are dowels to align both manifolds so I don't see how mine slipped down from missing the front stud. But obviously it has. I guess the front stud is one of the alignment pins.

I've never done the manifold myself, so I don't know the exact set up. But what I've seen on writeups and FSM there are dowels to align both manifolds so I don't see how mine slipped down from missing the front stud. But obviously it has. I guess the front stud is one of the alignment pins.

That is not an alignment stud. That's a bolt hole which tightens the exhaust manifold up. I just did mine this weekend, actually, so there is some credibility behind my words :)

When installing the ehxaust manifold on my 89, there are 3 bolts that hold it into place. One in the top middle, and one on each lower side like yours. The rest of the bolts pinch the intake manifold and exhaust manifold together to the engine. The two dowels are only to hold the intake in place, not the exhaust.

Annoying thing is when tightening the firewall exhaust bolt, opposite of yours, I broke it off :( I'm hoping it'll be fine..

I know this is an old thread... but did the OP ever get this issue resolved?

My son's 87 XJ has the same missing stud (his is actually snapped off inside the head) and I'm not sure I want to mess w/trying to get it out just yet, unless there's an 'easy' solution. I doubt there is... but figured I'd ask. Thanks.

Back