• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Screw Up

azdesertrhino

NAXJA Forum User
Hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I've searched around but can't seem to pin down a definitive answer on this issue although I note 5-90 may be the expert here. Hope he will chime in.

Yesterday I ran up to Phoenix and bought some parts from a guy parting out a 88 XJ. One of the items was a Powermaster 170 Amp High Output Alternator.

Well, got ready to transplant it in to my 94 XJ (4.0, auto, in case it makes a difference), and found that the voltage regulator apparently is different on the 94. The 94 Voltage regulator is in the PCM and it appears in the 88 it is external but plugs in to the alternator with some type of plug.

Is there an easy way to adapt this alternator to the 94 or should I just resell it and start over? I do have to go through emissions in Tucson but it is visual and a sniff test. (I noted this mentioned in one of the posts about rewiring alternators).

Any serious help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Back