• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes again

BillDunn83

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys I have searched the site and found multiple brake problems and fixes. I however have a problem that hasn't been discussed. I have a 99 with ABS and my bakes will build a little pressure when the rig is off but when it is on the pedal will go almost to the floor before the brakes kick in. I have bled the system like 4 times by having someone pump the brakes and by a vaccum tool... the fluid looks a little dusty. i can hear my brakes rubbing when I am going down the road. I just put on new rotors and pads and I did everything properly anyone got any ideas??

The FSM for 2000 says that you need to use the DRB scanner (dealer) and go through the special procedure for anti-lock systems. Hopefully, someone will chime in who has had success with something more conventional. I prefer a gravity bleed method, which worked on other anti-lock systems for me.

Vacuum bleed worked for me on my '99. I don't think you have to worry about the dealer brake bleeding procedure unless you somehow manage to get air into the ABS pump.

FWIW, my rear brake line was disconnected while I swapped in a new rear end. It was allowed to just gravity drain until it stoppped. Once I got everything hooked back up, I just refilled the master cylinder and bled the system without a problem.

I think the downside to NOT having the dealer bleed the system is that you end up with old fluid remaining in the ABS pump that gets mixed in with your new fluid the next time your ABS brakes activate.

That being said, here's what the FSM says about bleeding the ABS system:

BLEEDING ABS BRAKE SYSTEM​
ABS system bleeding requires conventional bleeding
methods plus use of the DRB scan tool. The procedure
involves performing a base brake bleeding,
followed by use of the scan tool to cycle and bleed the
HCU pump and solenoids. A second base brake bleeding
procedure is then required to remove any air
remaining in the system.
(1) Perform base brake bleeding. Refer to base
brake section for procedure.
(2) Connect scan tool to the Data Link Connector.
(3) Select ANTILOCK BRAKES, followed by MISCELLANEOUS,
then ABS BRAKES. Follow the
instructions displayed. When scan tool displays TEST
COMPLETE, disconnect scan tool and proceed.
(4) Perform base brake bleeding a second time.
Refer to base brake section for procedure.
(5) Top off master cylinder fluid level and verify​
proper brake operation before moving vehicle.

Sure glad I have old tech on my brakes, even they are a POS, LOL.

If it is not air, due to needing the fancy bleeding procedure, then your MC is toast, and needs replacing. If you replace the MC, get a new one, and check to make sure brake fluid did not get into vauum booster while you have it apart. If the VB took a brake fluid hit (rear side leak) change the Brake booster too as it will go out shortly too.

Ditto on the special procedure according to the FSM. I Have other vehicles with anti-lock also, and you cannot just do a 'regular' brake bleeding and have it turn out a-ok. You MUST cycle the antilock pump to have it done right.

I don't see a place to bleed the abs valve assy (I have the 99 FSM). I am just gonna replace the master and if that doesn't fix it I am gonna rip all that sit out!

ok i fixed it... I thought the sounds it was making were coming from the front and when i got my new wheels put on they looked in my drums and i had no pad left on the shoes.. swapped my disc conversion over from my old jeep and wala great brakes again!

Ditto on the special procedure according to the FSM. I Have other vehicles with anti-lock also, and you cannot just do a 'regular' brake bleeding and have it turn out a-ok. You MUST cycle the antilock pump to have it done right.

I actually have just followed regular "have someone pump while someone opens the bleeder" on my '99 with ABS. I had the rear wheel cylinder leak out all the fluid while on a trip back in February, as well as a blown line a couple weeks ago that sat for a week before repair. Both times I have repaired the system, and have had NO problems with a soft pedal or brakes not working. [size=-2](well I did technically have a soft pedal and the brakes didn't work after both those issues, but that was for obvious reasons)[/size]

Back