• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF work party Oct 10th

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
TSF October OHV Work Party‏
offline16.png
BEALL Stephanie A

Hi Everyone,

Fall has arrived and it’s time to get trails ready for the winter rains with an OHV Work Party in the Tillamook State Forest.

Date: Saturday, October 10, 2009

Time: 9:00 AM

Meeting Location: Rogers Camp

Work Party Leader: Jahmaal Rebb ( [email protected] )

Project Descriptions:

·Firebreak 5 – work on the man made rock crawl moving boulders back into place.

·Archers Firebreak / Waterfall – blocking illegal side trails and repairing damage

·Ben Smith Road – improving a dispersed campsite and repairing impacts from off-trail use.

Hope to see you there!

Stephanie A. Beall
Recreation Coordinator
Tillamook State Forest
801 Gales Creek Road
Forest Grove, OR 97116
http://egov.oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/Recreation.shtml

not to sturr up commotion but some of the side trails people have made in the past are a lot more challenging then the actual trail itself, why cant we (and im asking seriously) incorporate them into the trail??
im not talking about the mudd holes people dig but there's been trails i've seen that have mild wear, with rocks and some roots showing. what's the deal with all the restriction? for example last winter an entrance appeared on fb-5 up towards the top that ended up being a sweet rocky hill climb, and yet it got blocked up the cazew, now i don't know if it was by a natural spring or something but having little side routes adds to the fun its like having more than one line on the trail i guess. again i know there's a reason for this and i'm simply asking if you know the reason.
thanks hope the day goes well!

not to sturr up commotion but some of the side trails people have made in the past are a lot more challenging then the actual trail itself, why cant we (and im asking seriously) incorporate them into the trail??
im not talking about the mudd holes people dig but there's been trails i've seen that have mild wear, with rocks and some roots showing. what's the deal with all the restriction? for example last winter an entrance appeared on fb-5 up towards the top that ended up being a sweet rocky hill climb, and yet it got blocked up the cazew, now i don't know if it was by a natural spring or something but having little side routes adds to the fun its like having more than one line on the trail i guess. again i know there's a reason for this and i'm simply asking if you know the reason.
thanks hope the day goes well!
I understand what you mean. but think of it this way..

if we dont "Close" the sidetracking that has been made, then eventually it all starts to look like one cluster trail. it gets very un-orginized, and starts to erode more then whats permited for the land.

TSF is a well mapped OHV forest and if we start just driving anywhere then it all goes to hell. there are thousands of dollars into the organization of TSF. driving where-ever will get a place like this shut down!

It really should go without saying - if you don't block off and repair the unauthorized, unmarked trails, where does it stop? There are plenty of challenges to be had by sticking to what's already available. I've seen some heavily built buggies and truggies struggling to make it through some of the obstacles up there. If you need to cut another trail because the main trail is too hard, just take the main road around it.
If everything up there is a cakewalk in your rig (not addressing anyone specific), get involved with one of the clubs maintaining the trails and give input, as well as a donate some time during a clean up/trail building session.
As Scott said (Yep, backing you up after the rip on my track bar thread!), creating our own, unauthorized trails will get the place shut down. Sadly, with some of the ass-hattery I've seen up there lately, it seems like it's just a matter of time.

I think I know which trail you're talking about on FB5, they had to close that becasue of runoff which would've caused problems. You gotta remember, it can rain up to 12 inches in a single day up there (its happened, look it up) and that much rain can wash out a paved highway so keeping all the trails in good working order is difficult at best.

yea i had no idea that much $ went into the organization thanks for a helpfull response. i guess i just miss the way all the trails were back in like 2000 ta 04ish. there were side trails everywhere on the bike quad and 4x4 trails, but all of em led right back to the trail, not all of them were to get around an obstacle either, i think those ones should be blocked, i agree theres a lot of difficulty up there, but with as few trails we have and as much land is up there, well it just made me wonder.

also look at the tsf map from a few years back and youll see there was a lot more forks and sections to trails (all Designations) a few in particular are Sidewinder and Chute Trail. granted these are both MC and Quad trails. its the idea im after. having options. also random question is there a good viewpoint on Bates Road Trail?

Last edited:
Honestly the best thing to do would be to attend a work party or clean-up, and ask ODF yourself. There's no better way to get the inside scoop than hearing the facts straight form ODF. They would be more than happy to talk to you and hear your input.

The hill climb on FB5 (4th section) that goes past the Crushers is still open. As Ryan said it gets closed seasonally for environmental reasons. There was also another "new" little hill climb right after the rock garden on the second section. It led straight up to the road. That was illegal and blocked off.

yea id like to make it to one ill try and fit it in. i know the hill your talking about that got blocked, when it got to the road on top it crossed and had a short challenging section that met up to the rest of fb5. i only saw it on my bike a few times while riding up there then it was blocked.

thanks for the input

Back