• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein Valving Question

gradon

NAXJA Forum User
I'm asking the JeepSpeed crowd cause yall have the most experience with these. My XJ is a 2wd and sits 2" lower(stays on the street). I currently run the stock bilsteins(8.25" trav, 13.25" collapsed, 21.50" extended) and the fronts only have 1.5" travel left before they are collapsed, so I'm looking for a shock at least 1" shorter, if not 2". I want a firm ride, but not too harsh. I am sourcing a shorter length bilstein and have come up with the following options:
For the 5125 series:
BE5-6251-H5: 6.63"trav, 12.03" collapsed, 18.5" extended 255/70 valving
BE5-6140-T5: 6.5" trav, 11.77" collapsed, 18.42" extended 366/240 valving
For the 5150 series:
BF5-A194-H1: 6.48"trav, 12.3" collapsed, 18.5" extended 255/70 valving
I realize I'll have to pull off the bar pin and stud on my current bilsteins and swap them to the new shock. I'm curious as to if you think the 366/240 would be too harsh for the street? Thanks
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-3]BE5-6251-H5[/SIZE][/FONT]

Stick to the 255/70, and dont do a cross pin, take advantage and chop off the lower mount and get a mount welded straight to the lower control arm....

366/240 seems like overkill.

That would rattle the fillings out of your teeth.

get a mount welded straight to the lower control arm....

I would disagree. Go look through the build threads on the Jeepspeed forums to get ideas for lower mounts on the housing.

That would rattle the fillings out of your teeth.

I would disagree. Go look through the build threads on the Jeepspeed forums to get ideas for lower mounts on the housing.

Check the jeepspeed threads, most guys cut the lower mounting point, and then weld on some
mounting tabs off where the lower control arms go.... Tons of guys run them this way, eliminates the need for the bar pin eliminator and allows running a shock 2 to 3 inches longer.

Stick to the 255/70, and dont do a cross pin, take advantage and chop off the lower mount and get a mount welded straight to the lower control arm....

Check the jeepspeed threads, most guys cut the lower mounting point, and then weld on some
mounting tabs off where the lower control arms go.... Tons of guys run them this way, eliminates the need for the bar pin eliminator and allows running a shock 2 to 3 inches longer.

Tony, there is a big difference between the LCA and the LCA mount. :)

Back