• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE help

sheeks175

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.. so I got a AA SYE kit for the 231 and it went in great. The problem is, it rarely will shift from 2 to 4, N, and 4 low. I have it all ripped open now, and I can't figure out whats going on! Also the one time I did get it to shift perfect, in 4wheel low, the low range gear selector rubs against the mode hub. I have no F*&^ing clue what is going on. Please give me some answers, this is my last hope until I take it to a shop. Thanks in advance.
-Patrick

I feel your pain. I did mine about 1 month ago and ran into the same problem.

Mine was caused by multiple problems and my being stupid at the time.

1. Order some new Mode fork pads and shift fork pads from the stealership. If these are a bit warn it will cause the Mode fork to twist and hit the shift selector. Also get the 2 bushings for the shift rail.

2. Make sure your in Low range. Now where the shift rail protrudes from the back of the case measure 1" and cut off the rest. AND I DO MEAN NOT OVER 1" it was very sensitive to this measurement. Part of me being stupid I didn't cut enough the first time. I don't have a vacuum disconnect axle so I didn't care about the switch

4. Make sure the beveled teeth of the synchronizer are facing the back of the case.

3. DON'T FORGET THE SPRING. Ask me how I know this.....

4. Also the TC will not shift right until the yoke nut is torqued down to 110 ft-lbs

On a side note, my tc was hard to shift the first time while wheeling, but after that it shifts as smooth as butter.

If you have any problems just PM me and I will see if I can help.

Visit us @ www.pa-wheeling.com

Lunatic728 said:
Now where the shift rail protrudes from the back of the case measure 1" and cut off the rest. AND I DO MEAN NOT OVER 1" it was very sensitive to this measurement.

Newer units do NOT need to be cut. Get/follow the SYE instructions from AA. They identify which units need to be cut.

Also make sure you reinstalled the syncro sleeve in the proper orintation. From tom woods tech site:IF, FOR SOME REASON, YOUR SHIFTING RAIL, MODE FORK AND SYNCHRO SLEEVE CAME OUT, MAKE SURE THAT THE LONGER SIDE OF THE SYNCHRO SLEEVE IS INSTALLED TOWARD THE FRONT OF THE TRANSFERCASE, BE SURE NOT TO LOSE THE NYLON WEAR PADS ON THE SHIFT FORK http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Finally, make sure it's not the linkage that isn't binding. The plactic bushings/connectors on the linkage assembly tend to wear out and or disintegrate. take a look at the linkage to make sure everything is in place. This is the assembly under the jeep that bolts to the floor that I'm refering to.

Hey. Thanks for the help, I'm going to gather some more info before I try one more time. I know that you have to cut the rod, I have a 92 so yes I do have to cut it, but im not there yet. Could someone explain what the synchronizer is? Thanks.

Back