• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ seems to be choking a bit-need help!

jack96xj

NAXJA Forum User
Alright are all you diagnostic experts ready for this one? I am rolling down Douglas Drive today on my way back from work and as I am going under a light i hit the gas and the truck seemed to gag and sputter a bit. A little worried the truck would die in the intersection I hammered down on the gas! It sputtered once and then BOOM OFF to the races! Havent been able to duplicate the problem. Was thinking of starting where everyone else would.....fuel filter, fuel pump, lines, injectors. Any other ideas or prophecies that I should consider with this one? I dont think it should be anything to serious, it is an 01' with 105k on it. Practically brand new. I love that truck!

Sounds like you need to clean your throttle-body, IAC, and de carbonize it. Change plugs and check fuel pressure

Symptoms sound like it could be a CPS, mine started that way

Mine kinda hesitates off the line and feels like its going to stall, but then picks up and drives off. I think my IAC is going though, I cleaned it a while ago and it stopped stalling but its starting to act up again.

When my CPS was going out, it just wouldnt start when it was too warm.

Good luck diagnosing that one, I have been chasing that for years. Mines a 88 renix though, so a bit of a different story. I recently had the
CPS, IAC, MAP, TPS all changed out at once. It acted up again soon after, I rerouted the CPS connector so there is no tension on it and it has been good for a few weeks now.

Biggest problem is that it happens at random times with no consistency so no way to duplicate or effectivley diagnose.

Already did the plugs, wires roter thing. Next will be to chase down the fuel system, though I don't think that would give random and periodic hesitation.

PS. This is a problem I inherited from the previous grandma owner, who had it into the dealer several times to try to chase down, with not sucess.

Just an XJ I guess

PSS. Mine did get to the point where I would have to pull over, unplug the MAP sensor and restart. I would be on my way again.

Back