• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock aux fan wiring

jonesinxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I just picked up a aux fan off a JY XJ, on all the XJ's that i walked around to they all had the wiring for the aux fan. Today I went to install the fan on my heep and cannot find the wiring anywhere. Now I do not believe that my jeep originally came with a aux electric fan, but I am assuming that the wiring would still be hard wired? Any help would be greatly appreciated

TIm
NAXJA

Hallo. I think the best solution is a hand switch in the cabin.
Only you have to think of the polarity, so that the fan is pulling air into the motor bay and not pushing out. Hot wire to the green and the black wire of the fan to ground.
:idea:

'92 Xj wim

Last edited:
What year and engine? As far as I know, all 4.0 XJ's had the fan.

models without A/C did not have the electric fan but the computers are the same. you will probably need to go back to the junkyard and find the harness from the same year as yours to get yours working like stock.

basically the fan is activated when the computer grounds the relay (which happens whenever the A/C engages or coolant temperature exceeds ~220f), and then the relay opens the circuit to the fan. you'll want to look in and under the PDC to see if the relays are there, if the wiring is there, etc. hopefully it will be easy to install the fan harness from there

thanks for the response guys. I guess i have some scavaging to do. and some thinking. Oh and the rig I have is a 88 with a 4.0 and no a/c

The ones with no A/C also had crappy low output alternators also.

Back